cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youview update

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Youview update

You would hope by then that Plusnet launch something. If it was me, I would hold fire and see what happens in the next couple of months.
TORPC
Grafter

In all fairness, plusnet seem to be taking a longer more thorough test regime, than other ISP's which should iron out more bugs / glitches than the other have done so far to date
Devonian
Grafter

Well after raising the bills and locking me in until the end of my LRS via blackmail, I have changed my mind and will not be taking up Youview.
AndyH
Grafter

ISP Review have a piece on the trial - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/08/uk-isp-plusnet-youview-tv-trials-going-well-still-eta.h...
Not much info other than the trial is “going very well“ and that Plusnet “have not confirmed commercial launch dates at this time“. Rumours of a 4Q launch in the article though.
terry306uk

What's the latest news regarding the Youview TV? I'm interested in getting the TV package.
AndyH
Grafter

Latest news is there is no news...
petecov44
Grafter

I don't know why people are bothering - get a HDMI cable hook it up to your PC it's all online in HD and for free
warbleeder
Grafter

i got fed-up of waiting for pn to offer tv so i went to sky and stream rest from net.....
sky is crap for customer service but so long as i have no issues itll be fine
in my opinion too many people (including my self) have been asking pn for a tv product for too long ....personally i dont think it will happen trials have been going on for well over 6 months ....
petecov44
Grafter

Oh well their loss then isn't it
Sky's service is good I would like it but I don't watch much apart from some sport which I can get/stream for free anyway
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Trials do really take that long. It's not as easy as buying some equipment and just hoping it works.
It needs to work with our suppliers, our infrastructure and make sure it works properly. We want to make sure that the product is thoroughly tested and works how we'd expect. you can't rush these things.
AndyH
Grafter

You would expect that Plusnet would want to launch it before the end of this year to take advantage of the XMAS sales - assuming that all the issues with the trial have been resolved and everything is good to go.
I don't think Chris will give us an indicator as to the likelihood of that though  Wink If there was a total IP based TV solution, then I'd be quite interested as I'm not a Freeview user.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Bearing in mind how stretched PN support are now it would be folly to launch for Christmas (or perhaps even at all!) - Just imagine all the posts on here when customers have issues with incompatible routers, provisioning and billling!
AndyH
Grafter

I can see the router issue coming up quite a bit - particularly if people are using their own routers. I assume Plusnet would have to put some disclaimer that it's only supported with certain routers provided by them.
Billing - the mention of a new billing system is hopefully positive news and many pre-existing issues will be resolved.
Provisioning - I have no idea how this would work, however if they are reliant on someone else to sort out the provisioning, then I can see issues.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Your optimism regarding the release date and the benefits of the new billing system is admirable  Wink
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Trials do really take that long. It's not as easy as buying some equipment and just hoping it works.
It needs to work with our suppliers, our infrastructure and make sure it works properly. We want to make sure that the product is thoroughly tested and works how we'd expect. you can't rush these things.

Looks like PN are doing a more extensive trail / tests compared to their brethren BT & TalkTalk who of course, rushed it all to market, with an abundance of problems
I just hope it will not take too much longer before PN are able to bring it to the forefront for consumers @ a better price than the other ISP's