Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pstn switch off

stevejd58
Hooked

Pstn switch off

This is a sort of roundabout question.

My connection is fibre to cabinet from the Sleaford (EMSLFRD) exchange. Part of my question relates to when is the exchange switching off PSTN and partly to replacing my modem/router.
My TP-link VR2800 is now classed as end of life and I wonder if this is still safe to use now it is no longer supported by TP-link.

Now I know at some point I will have to change over to fttp but its about weighing up risk against financial cost, so

1. anyone know if the change for the sleaford exchange is earlier than Dec 25?

2. as a domestic user, using the internet for banking etc, should I replace the VR2800 or am I Ok until I have to change connection

3. if I buy a new router/ modem, is the dsl port compatable with FTTP box that will at some point be installed?

I'm not one to change for sake of it but will when I have to, happy with my 75/20 connection speeds, I'm just seeking some clarity here as Google seems to have lost the plot re finding basic info

9 REPLIES 9
markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Pstn switch off

@stevejd58 

I'll give you some opinions (and they are just that).

2) With Internet banking I would personally think more about the device you use than the router. I would only use a dedicated app on a well maintained and secure operating system. Arguably the best way of achieving this is a modern phone or tablet from a well known manufacturer with all the updates taken as released.

Clearly a supported router is a good idea and I might use what Plusnet supply rather than a TP-Link device that is out of support. If you bought a newer device it might support the latest WiFi standards (useful if your devices do). 

3) It's not the DSL port that will suit a fibre presentation via Openreach's box, you need a WAN port (most routers being sold have this) that does.

Google search does seem much less useful than it was.

I Googled "why is Google search less useful than it was?" and got a number of interesting perspectives but no clear answer.

Perhape this was, itself, the answer I was expecting.

I am the satisfied customer....
Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@markhawkin  Interesting comments.

Personally, for security and practical reasons, I would never connect to a financial institution using a mobile device and definitely never via Wi-Fi. Maybe I'm old school, wonder what other members think ?

(Just adding, for info, I ran the I.T. Departments of several Private Banks)

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@Champnet I do all my banking over Wi-Fi, but only using my own home network, never on a public one.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@jab1  Commendable, just keep an eye open for strangers hanging around the outside of your home.........

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Champnet 

Similarly I worked in IT for 34+ years - I do not do on-line banking FULL STOP!!!

If my account has no on-line capability, it cannot be hacked.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

They are easy to spot, @Champnet  - I'm down a lane with only six houses on it, and loiterers, strange vehicles, stand out like a sore thumb. In any case, would they not need to know my connection to be able to do any damage?

I've been using digital/mobile banking ever since its inception, and not had an issue yet.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@stevejd58 

You will not necessarily have to change to FTTP. There is a OR product called SOGEA which allows FTTC over the old copper line. Do you know if FTTP is available to you. You're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column of the following Checker.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

The change to FTTP is purely a matter of choice depending on your needs. There is little difference in price between FTTC & FTTP for similar speeds.

You can probably make the move to SOGEA now (new contract?) if you want to get that done and dusted. Others have pointed out A&A as a VOIP provider - they get good reviews on the Forum and have a good FAQ section. Note that VOIP doesn't work during power cuts and if you have car or house alarms you need to check their requiements for VOIP operation. 

As to your router - if it works, why change. I'm still using Win7. As stated it's the equipment you connect to it that matters.

Brian

Xanadu_2
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

@stevejd58 wrote:

My TP-link VR2800 is now classed as end of life and I wonder if this is still safe to use...

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed if you continue to use it.

VR2800 Firmware