Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Contacts to New iPad

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Moving Contacts to New iPad

Have 10 year old iPad Air that is well past its use by date. New iPad is lates5 2022 model.

Have tried for several days to upload old contacts to iCloud which has available space. However hard I try nothing happens. 

iCloud accepts login and recognizes the devices.

Have read all possible instructions to no avail.  I can only assume that either this cannot be done with an ancient iPad or I am missing something obvious.

Maybe there is an alternative App for this? Any help appreciated!

TVMIA

TeeGee

4 REPLIES 4
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Moving Contacts to New iPad

@TeeGee wrote:

Maybe there is an alternative App for this? Any help appreciated!

I've never used an ipad, but used itunes recently to make a test backup of an iphone6.
Related Apple Support page is at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/itunes/itns3280/windows
"Back up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC"

Hope that helps. Would mention however *not* to make an encrypted backup (if you're aiming to read the backup material, say), because once 'encrypted' is selected, there is no way of making future backups unencrypted.

Apple Support - freephone - they call you - was wonderful, btw.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

We came this road earlier this year -- after 10 yrs my wife and I treated ourselves to new iPads. We too found that the new iPad to iPad transfers don't work because they need later operating systems. My wife tried first and her attempt to transfer automatically just hung and failed to complete.

Apple's help pages say: If you have a new iPhone or iPad, you can use Quick Start to transfer information automatically from your old device to your new device if you're using iOS 11 or later. Use iCloud, iTunes or the Finder to transfer information to your new device if you're using iOS 10 or earlier.

Sorry can't remember exactly how we did it but we followed procedure for iOS10 and it worked. If all else fails, as Penny says Apple support is very good.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Thanks both for interesting replies!

Apple tend to assume one uses Apple for everything which is great if you do but not if you don't

The one thing we have learned is that my wife needs to change her iPad every 7 years before they cease to upgrade the OS.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@TeeGee wrote:

The one thing we have learned is that my wife needs to change her iPad every 7 years before they cease to upgrade the OS.

Sounds as bad as Windows  !.Cry