cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After installing the Xyxel VMG3925-B10C Router I lost contact with my Netgear RNDuov2.0 NAS computer

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: After installing the Xyxel VMG3925-B10C Router I lost contact with my Netgear RNDuov2.0 NAS comp

@ukbobboy - the helpdesk will not be able to provide you with another admin password. I may be able to reset the password remotely, however it's not something I've attempted before. I'll take a look.

I didn't think there was any way for an admin user to be configured to permanently lock. Doesn't even seem to be an option when looking at the user configuration settings: -

Screenshot 2022-10-19 115848.jpg

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: After installing the Xyxel VMG3925-B10C Router I lost contact with my Netgear RNDuov2.0 NAS comp

@ukbobboy - I've sent you a private message. If my suggestion doesn't work then a factory reset may be the only way to go 😕

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ukbobboy
Dabbler

Hi Bob and Mr. W

First, I'd like to thank Bob for seeing if my Zyxel router's admin screen could be accessed and supplying that special password, in both cases the admin screen was inaccessible.

Next, both chaps suggested the same solution, i.e hit the reset button.  However, I do not want to do that just yet or maybe I'll do it later on when an emergency arises, simply because today is the first day in 10 days I've been able to work with my NAS files and, as you can both guess, I don't want to loose that ability when I've just got it back.

Therefore, Bob and Mr. W, I will hold off for a bit on pressing that reset button and continue to do the work enjoy doing while trying to solve the other problems that plague this upgrade that I'm doing.

Until the next time.

UK Bob

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 84

@ukbobboy 

Interested to know; how are the NAS drives are connected to your network, directly to the router or via a switch or something else?

Did you power off the NAS drives before you switched over to the new router?

Might help explain why you encountered this issue.

Dan.

ukbobboy
Dabbler

Dan_the_Van

Hi Dan

Your are late to the party, my main problem has already been solved, thanks to a great suggestion from bobpullen, as for your "NAS connectivity" question, that's already been answered.

As for your "new to this forum" question, "Did you power off the NAS drives before you switched over to the new router?"  No I did not, I just plugged their individual ethernet (yellow) cables into the Zyxel LAN sockets, I did not see any reason to switch off the NAS computers beforehand.

However, and unfortunately, my upgrading of my system from WinXP to Win11 is proving to be a pain, for example I lost my email address book, which now has to be recreated, I almost lost my electronic diary with all my upcoming appointment and scheduling dates etc. but luckily managed to save and copy the original file, regained access to two thirds of my NASes functionality, Zyxel's admin screen has now locked me out and finally I have to find and re-install uptodate versions of my utilities, if they still exists.

Yeah, upgrading is a pain.

UK Bob

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

No I did not, I just plugged their individual ethernet (yellow) cables into the Zyxel LAN sockets, I did not see any reason to switch off the NAS computers beforehand

I would suggest to you this is a bad idea and when you come to reset the Zyxel router you power off the NAS drives before you reset the router. As you indicated the NAS are set to a dynamic IP Address  (DHCP)  so they should then request new IP Addresses from the Zyxel DHCP server which should negate the need to change the routers IP Address to 192.168.1.254

ukbobboy
Dabbler

Dan_the_Van

Hi Dan

I appreciate your quick reply but, although your answer is logical, it is also wrong, and I shall explain why.

1) Once I plugged the NASes into the Zyxel router they did request and got new IP addresses, I know this because I made a note of their IP addresses when using the Sagemcom router and immediately made a new note of the new IP addresses the moment the Zyxel router reported them.

2) If you read bobpullen's solution you will see that it is also logical but spot on, his reasoning and how to apply the solution (which you should read) did the trick. So in essence, there is nothing more that can be done because I now have the file connections, which are very important to me, and the smaller things that are left over are just annoyances to be worked out at a later date.

So Dan, thank you for your input but I've got to move on to other (upgrade related) problems.

Cheers

UK Bob

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

I did read through this post thank you, I was interested as to why you encountered this issue becasue it shouldn't have happened. The fact the router IP Address had to changed to 192.168.1.254 suggests to me something went wrong when you changed router.

As to your attiude, you had no need to be rude and discurtious towards me.

End

ukbobboy
Dabbler

Dan_the_Van

Dan

I'm sorry that you felt I was being rude and discourteous towards you, that was not my intent and I do not bear you any ill will, I looked at it as two guys having a robust discussion. However, if you feel slighted by my reply then I apologise for that.

You see, I did not get the impression that you had read bobpullen's solution, nor any of the correspondence which had gone before, but I do understand that being robust in trying to give full explanations may come off as being rude and condescending.

So Dan, lets move on and leave this unpleasantness behind us.

Hoping for a more cordial discussion in the future.

UK Bob