cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a BT smart hub (6) work with the Fibre broadband only package?

dfects
Grafter

Will a BT smart hub (6) work with the Fibre broadband only package?

Hiya,

I've been using my BT smart hub reliably for years now, but we just put in an order to switch to "Fibre" (fttc) without a phone line as we don't need a phone service. It did offer me the chance to get a plusnet smart hub 2 for the postage cost, but I decided against it as our current set up works well (I use another device for WIFI etc.)

Was this foolish, or will the BT smart hub 1 (6) still work as it did before when our phone service is cancelled? Sogea is new to me. I only really use it as a modem for a single connection, so hoping it'll connect and work the same.

5 REPLIES 5
zpeterk
Grafter

Re: Will a BT smart hub (6) work with the Fibre broadband only package?

Sogea is no different so will work as before

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@dfects 

As stated it will continue to work, but I would still get the Hub 2, even if it is to keep as a spare. Unlike your Smarthub it will self configure and it has a bridge mode, which should be used if your WiFi is coming from a second router. For more info on why this is bad do a Google search for double NAT. You can also select your own DNS resolvers with the Plusnet version.

The WiFi is the same except that you can't split the bands on the Hub 2.

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dfects
Grafter

Thanks both for the confirmation, good to know my existing setup should work okay. I have the BT hub hooked up to a mini UPS so I'd have to look up using that with the plusnet hub 2. Hopefully they moved to a standard barrel connector over the weird ones BT use but I won't get my hopes up!

Great to know the hub 2 has a proper bridge mode, I have my router set in the BT hub's DMZ atm and that suprinsigly seems to work pretty well. I've not had any noticable NAT related issues when gaming on PC or my PS5 etc.

I'll get on the phone to support when they're open, hopefully I can get the hub 2 still for the postage cost.

Thanks again

dfects
Grafter

Called up and got the new hub added to my order. To do so, they had to cancel and redo the contract. I noticed in the email I was sent it referred to the product as “SOGEA 36”. I did check with the CS rep who said it was the same, but is that definitely the same as the 40/10 service we were on before 🤔 Seems odd its called 36

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@dfects 

It’s exactly the same as the old fibre service except that there’s no phone service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'