Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a BT Smart Hub on Plusnet.

FIXED
wo0x
Grafter

Using a BT Smart Hub on Plusnet.

Hi, I've just returned to Plusnet after a few years. I'm not impressed with the WiFi signal with the router provided, and would like to use my BT Smart Hub. However, I'm not having any success with trying to set it up. I've followed the detailed instructions that are listed in previous threads, but entering my account name and password results in an unspecified error when clicking connect.

I have a ''BT Smart Hub - Type A''. Am I out of luck, or does anyone how I can get this working?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Using a BT Smart Hub on Plusnet.

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Do a complete reset  of the BT Smart Hub,

(May also be worth also doing a Factory reset from within the hub manager itself in advanced settings) 

see my Post (message 41) here

with an amendment of only connecting the DSL cable to BT Socket (Via a filter if needed) after you have changed the correct setting to (yourusername@plusdsl.net) with your plusnet password and saved by pressing the tab at top of the page.

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/m-p/1415464#M312705

and by Baldrick1

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673

wo0x
Grafter

Hi, these are the threads I have been following. When I get to the stage of entering my username and password it says ''changes need to be saved'' in the top right. There's no save button, just 'back' and 'connect'. Hitting connect gives a pop up saying 'error' with no further information, hitting back results in no changes being saved.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Have you tried Badlrick1 answer to this 

8 Select ‘Save’. This will prompt the Pink ‘Saving’ box to appear. If this doesn’t disappear after a couple of minutes then just select ‘Advanced Settings’ then return to the ‘Broadband’ page. That seems to trigger the saving process. I have also experienced version that did not have a ‘Save’ field. In that case I just left it and went on to the next step. This seemed to do the trick and save the settings.

9 Connect the DSL cable to the BT master socket via the filter.

May I suggest  reset to factory settings in Hub management settings under advanced settings.

And also reset using the pin method at rear of Router. (This does take time keep the pin pressed in for Over a minute)

and retry . Ensure Smart set up tab is off when you start to re enter your (plusnetusername)@plusdsl.net

One other thing it will not accept odd symbols in your password. 

Other than that perhaps the unit has gone faulty. Sorry

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Fix

Ensure you do not have odd symbols like    &*(%^$@£ in your  plusnet log in password,  If so change it . The BT Smart hub will not accept those type of symbols.

Ensure you have your dsl cable plugged into the BT phone socket on selecting Connect at this stage.

I think Baldrick1 uses a Business hub which may be slightly different. re save/connect/ back .  tabs.

wo0x
Grafter

Thanks, I'll give this a go. My password definitely does contain those characters,

wo0x
Grafter

Works perfectly now, thank you.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Probably find that the software will update, remember that every 14days it will re boot anyway.