Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using A BT Smarthub, An Update

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Using A BT Smarthub, An Update

@Tom10 

Have you sorted this? If you haven't got a save field try selecting a different page in the advanced options, I have found in the distant pass that this triggered an automatic save.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

morgansbob
Hooked

Baldrick a great posting which appears to solve my problem except I have a BT Smart hub 2 BUT more importantly for me I am almost computer illiterate and am lost by a lot of the technical jargon.

Are you aware of any ‘you tube’ type postings that might take me step by step visually to achieve this.

Thanks again for an excellent post, if I can make this change my BT halo device will pair up and work again. It’ll save me having to buy yet more wifi extenders. In the meantime I’ll revert to power line (which I already have) as a standby.

Regards

stuart

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@morgansbob  The BT Halo device is an alternative connection via the EE 4G network if your BT Broadband connection fails. Nothing to do with WiFi.

It will not work with a Plusnet Broadband connection

morgansbob
Hooked

Hi Aspiring Hero
My apologies for lack of clarity.
My proposal was to use the BT hub in the hope that I could pair it with the Halo Wi-Fi extender. In the absence of that I wondered if anyone has posted or has knowledge of any visual talk through of accessing and manipulating the ‘back office’ machinations of routers etc.
Thanks for your interest and taking the time to post.
Regards
morgansbob
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@morgansbob  The BT Halo device is an alternative connection via the EE 4G network if your BT Broadband connection fails. Nothing to do with WiFi.

It will not work with a Plusnet Broadband connection

Not the case. Halo is the proposition and there are different aspects to it depending on the tier you have. See here. The 4G back-up options are either a separate 4GEE Mini Hub, or a paired Hybrid Connect LTE modem that does failover/failback should your main broadband link go down. In addition to this, some of the Halo tiers come with 'Complete Wi-Fi' which I suspect is what @morgansbob is referring to.

Complete Wi-Fi will work fine on a Plusnet line if paired to a BT Smarthub 2. The only re-configuration required should be that of the main Smarthub 2, assuming the discs are already paired (if they're not, they can be re-paired using an ethernet cable or WPS).

As it happens, Hybrid Connect will also work on a Plusnet line *if* the sim card in the LTE modem is still active (which is unlikley if it's associated with a BT service that has since been cancelled). YMMV, but I think you can even get around this by inserting your own SIM card into the HC unit.

BT typically request that their equipment is sent back to them when a customer leaves though, so I doubt there are many customers migrating to us that have retained ownership of it.

I suppose that still leaves certain 'marketplaces' though Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@morgansbob  Please ignore my post, it appears BT Halo can have many guises, including amongst other things a  WiFi extender. @bobpullen has given you the full story.

RMogs84

Hi,
Any ideas how to get this to work using FTTP?
no matter what I try the Hub restarts and automatically populates the field with the BT details.

Cheers
Baldrick1

@RMogs84 

The mistake that usually causes this is that people do not fully follow the instructions. You must be disconnected from the Internet before entering your Plusnet credentials. Simply unplug the Ethernet cable from your ONT. and replug it after making and saving the changes.

If you are already connected to the BT server whilst making the changes then the server detects that you are not trying to connect to a BT service and kicks you out.

Moderator and Customer

Ben1
Grafter

I hope I'm not hijacking someone else's thread. My connection is once again giving me connection problems; the desktop computer is generally fine, but my iPhone and iPad are often very variable or won't connect at all. I have a BT Hub 6, which I have restarted from the web interface. Should I try and get hold of a BT Smart Hub 2? I wonder what I can do to improve matters, thank you.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

@Ben1 I suggest you start your own topic on the 'My Router' board this topic is really only for questions related to the set-up of the Hub6.

John
Ben1
Grafter

Will do, thank you John!

morgansbob
Hooked

Thank you

morgansbob
Hooked

Thanks, I’ve decided to go for a Bt wholesome system

alana1

Hi I followed your advice a few years ago and replaced the plusnet hub with bthub 6 which worked good (much better WiFi reception at home with bt hub ) - the bt hub 6 has stopped working tried resetting it etc so no joy - so reverted back to plusnet hub - considering buying a replacement bt hub is there any updated version I should be looking for ? Or get another bt smart hub - type A as I had ? Thanks we are not on fibre! Thanks
A
A
Baldrick1

@alana1 

Usually when they stop working they have just lost the Plusnet configuration settings. When you reset it did you remember to disconnect the DSL lead whilst you were entering your Plusnet Username (followed by @plusdsl.net) and password?

What to use as a replacerment depends on whether you want to split the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. If you are happy to leave them synchronised then use either the newer BT Smarthub 2 or a new Plusnet Hub 2. They have the same wireless performance but the Plusnet version will self configure and has other useful features.

If you ask for one when you renew your contract (or have recently renewed) then Plusnet will give you a Hub 2 for the P&P charge. Try ringing the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632. I'm not sure if they are available at week ends.

Moderator and Customer