Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub 2 and Synology server

Golfman
Hooked

Plusnet Hub 2 and Synology server

Hi

Im new to the forum and have searched but cant find an answeer to my issue that I understand !!

Have been using Hub 1 up till now with no issues. Have a synology server plugged into one of the LAN ports on the hub and the server is mapped to the pc and all is OK.

Have now got a hub 2. All booted up and internet and wifi etc works fine. Issue I have is that I can not get my laptop (windows 10) to see the server so I can map it so it shows up as a drive like it did when using hub 1. If I type in the ip address of the synology server I can see it and access the server. Just cant get the pc/windows to see it to map it. Changing hub back to the original hub 1 all works Ok so definetely some setting in the hub 2 that is giving me issues.

Can  anybody give me a easy to follow guide to getting hub 2 to work as it does seem a better modem/router than the hub 1

Thanks in advance

R

12 REPLIES 12
zpeterk
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Hub 2 and Synology server

It may be the win pc thinks the network on hub 2 is public so you need to change it to private. 
Has the Synology drive got a fixed IP address?

Golfman
Hooked

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yes the server seems to have a fixed up address. No idea how it got it but it has never changed. Using the Synology assistant app on the pc that also finds the server ok, but again fails when you try and map it.

Where exactly would I look to check the public/private setting? Why should the pc see the server differently when all I’ve done is changed the modem?

regards

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

"Why should the pc see the server differently when all I’ve done is changed the modem?"

The PC sees itself connected to a different network (because the Hub 2 MAC address is different to the Hub 1 MAC address).

Have you reseved the Synology IP address on the Hub 2 (I think this is how you make it apparently static on a Hub 2 but I haven't got one).?

If you can ping the Synology on a static IP address you should be able to map it to a Windows drive.

If it's a static IP address I would suggest using \\192.168.xxx.xxx\share rather than any name as I've found that a bit more reliable.

I am the satisfied customer....
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

@Golfman @Can you ping the Synology box by name ?

If so in a dos box I type, for example,

net use x: \\link100\backup

Golfman
Hooked

Sorry not sure what you mean by ping it by name...

As far as I can see both in the Synolgy server and the hub 2 it is showing the correct static address that it always had.

The server is shown on the hub 2 interface as connected to port 1

Can access the server with ip address OK from the wired PC or other devices on wifi using the ip address.

Just Windows will not see it of trying to map it......putting old hub 1 back in all works OK....

Have attached some pics

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@Golfman looks like the name is Diskstation.

Golfman
Hooked

Yes the srver is called DiskStation.  I believe my issue is some sort of portt fowarding issue. Within the servers control panel you can ask it to set up router port fowarding...however it fails with the message

Warning. two or more routers found on your network

However all I have is the PN Hub 2 and the server....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 406

Warning. two or more routers found on your network

@Golfman Ah! yes , seen that before, its this problem https://kb.synology.com/en-in/DSM/tutorial/two_or_more_routers_were_found

The problem is that on some connections the PN default gateway (for the PPPoE) on the first hop has a 172.... address. The Synology sees this and 'throws its toys out of the pram'. The gateway doesnt need a routable address.

I'm surprised the Hub 1 ever worked because that would have had the same situation.

You need to set the port forwarding manually on the Hub 2, maybe you already did that on the Hub 1 ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Golfman
Hooked

Thanks for the reply

Problem im having is trying to find the settings required to set up the port fowarding. Could anyone give me settings I need?

I have tried to set up in the router/hub 2 but nothing seems to work....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 406

Sorry I don't routinely use the Hub 2. Hopefully someone more conversant wit it will be along shortly to advise...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@Golfman Unless your accessing the Diskstation from the outside world you don't need port forwarding.

Given the box has a fixed IP which you're unsure of it's origin I'd check the other router connections for a duplicate IP.

Golfman
Hooked

Fixed !!!!!

Many thanks for all your suggestions. However it was none of them !!!!

Very weird....changing modem to new hub 2 stopped pc being able to map drive hoever was able to log in to server via browser and ip address.

Family member came back this week, and lo an behold there pc could still see the server and drive still mapped ok....SHows the modem is OK it was something on my pc.

Eventually found that the family members pc is just using normal windows firewall, and obviously was letting access to server OK still. My pc is running a different firewall software (not using the windows one). So turned of the firewall and windows mapped the drives straight away, have then turned firmwalss back on and all good.......

Easy when you know how !!!