cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking TCP smart plugs and bulb to a hub 2

Tettin
Hooked

Linking TCP smart plugs and bulb to a hub 2

I recently struggled to connect TCP smart sockets (they operate at 2.4GHz) to a hub 2 router. They had previously worked fine on the older hub 1.  I thought it might help others if I shared my approach as the other suggestions like turn off the 5Ghz , move sockets as close as possible to router did not work

The solution was to temporarily revert to the hub 1 and use it to simulate the hub 2. Just connect PC and the line coming in. Log into the router and set up the 2.4GHz wireless network to simulate the new hub 2. Turn off the 5GHz. Do this by changing the name and password  on the hub 1 to exactly the same as on the new hub 2. Then connect/reconnect the TCP sockets (and bulb in my case), by using the TCP app on a smart phone and pressing the button on the socket for approx 7 seconds until it flashes its small light at 2Hz. Release and the socket reconnects to the 'old' hub one one at a time.

Turn off the hub 1, reinstate the hub 2 and the smart devices linked without doing anything else. 

Turn back on the 5GHz on the hub 2.....all should still be working. I'm keeping the Hub 1 just in case I need to do this ever again.

1 REPLY 1
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Re: Linking TCP smart plugs and bulb to a hub 2

I'm keeping the Hub 1 just in case I need to do this ever again.

For information, if you have a Smartphone, you can use its hotspot function to do the same thing.

Its quite often recommended as a way to handle this situation

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.