cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 router alternative

pauljayp

Hub 2 router alternative

I am a new customer who is waiting to be activated.

My activation date is in 4 days but the router has only just been ordered.
There is a chance that I won't have the router in time for the engineer to connect and activate the service.

Does anyone know what third party router alternatives are on the market that I can purchase that are compatible with FTTP and PlusNet, or advise me on what requirements I should be looking for?

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Hub 2 router alternative

@pauljayp New Hubs are despatched by Royal Mail Tracked24 to arrive 1-2 days prior to activation, so, although it is a little tight, you should have it in time.

What router are you currently using?

John
pauljayp

There is a chance it won't arrive in time, I WFH and being without internet is not practical.

I am switching from Virgin and use their hardware, my current router is the VM Hub 3.0.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

If it has been ordered today, the chances are it will be despatched today, and reach you tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the VM kit won't work with OR FTTP, but as I said above, your PN Hub will  arrive on time. Once it is desptched you will get an email and/or a text with the tracking number.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

Does anyone know what third party router alternatives are on the market that I can purchase that are compatible with FTTP and PlusNet, or advise me on what requirements I should be looking for?

Any router that has an Ethernet WAN port and can be configured for a PPPoE internet connection will work with Plusnet FTTP.

Note that most ISP supplied routers such as your Virgin VM Hub are 'locked' to the ISP and are not (in general) able to be reconfigured.

If you are considering using whatever router you decide on as a permanent replacement for the Hub 2, then particularly if you have ordered one of the higher bandwidth FTTP products i.e 500Mb upwards, then make sure its capable of handling the throughput.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

@pauljayp if you wanted a reasonable spec router as an 'insurance policy' at minimal cost then this https://www.amazon.co.uk/MERCUSYS-Wireless-MU-MIMO-Supports-Parental/dp/B08C5MLZW7 should work fine and (providing you have Prime) capable of being delivered tomorrow.

Note it only has 2 LAN ports.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@pauljayp 

There is every chance the Plusnet router will appear (assuming you have a decent size letterbox - when I last had a Hub 2 delivered it was stuck in the flap).

If you have to buy an alternative, from Argos this looks fairly decent. If you bought it and leave it unopened you could always return it if you don't need it. On paper it seems a decent upgrade from the Hub 2.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3280645

How to set it up - look here

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings

With FTTP you get an Ethernet presentation from the (powered) box Openreach install.

Think through how you want the fibre to enter your home before the installers arrive as you only get one chance to get it right!.

I am the satisfied customer....
pauljayp

Thank you everyone for the replies and the advice.

I will order one of the recommended just in case PlusNets doesn't arrive.

It seems that it might be worth upgrading the router anyway, although I will assess that when it has been installed.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

With you going to Full Fibre it's worth mentioning the Hub Two does not support wifi 6 devices, so if you are considering a new router you might want to buy one that does

Dan

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Do you have a pre-existing BT fibre install?

Has it ever been used/activated?