cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Activation date much longer than quoted

jrankin
Hooked

I have just had the same experience. When I went through the online signup I was looking for a fast activation and was shown 7th May and on that basis I signed up. I now get an activation date of 15th May, over two weeks away. I'm not impressed by being sold to with one date and then given a date over a week later.  This may be the system having the same default behaviour but I don't like being sold to on a bait and switch basis and feel like cancelling if PN think this is acceptable way to work.

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

The original date is always a provisional date (based on typical lead time). The confirmed date will always be subject to the availability of BT Openreach engineering resources in your location at the time the order is fully confirmed by BTOR.

Such is why service migration from one provider to another should be left entirely in the hands of the new provider.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jrankin
Hooked

It's not a migration it is a new site with an ONT up and running (yes, I know there are exchange activities to take place)

Plusnet really should not have presented a big 7th May graphic on the sign up web site without adequate explanation. I feel deceived by their selling approach.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

it is a new site with an ONT up and running

@jrankin is/was the ONT powered up ? and all the lights on and green , apart from the LOS ?

(yes, I know there are exchange activities to take place)

There shouldn't be, if the installation has been completed by OR then it SHOULD be a remote activation

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jrankin
Hooked

Yes, the ONT was and is powered up and lights on and green.

To add insult to injury my text today said morning of 15th May and the online account now says 16th of May.

It is very telling that it took me a matter of seconds from coming on the forum today to find someone else who had a similar recent experience of being offered a fast activation date only to have it changed after signing up and who would might not have signed up if it wasn't for being told the fast activation date.

This is how I feel as well. I signed up with Plusnet because they have a good customer service reputation and because they offered such a fast activation date. I didn't feel the need to look at all other options and ordered on the basis of that fast activation. Then, once they have my order, the date changed. This doesn't look good. My first experience of plusnet service being a very dodgy selling approach.

I'm considering cancelling the order. Not because I will end up getting a connection faster but more that I'm not sure I want to deal with an organisation that finds it acceptable to structure their sales process to operate in this way. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Then, once they have my order, the date changed. This doesn't look good. My first experience of plusnet service being a very dodgy selling approach.

AFAIK the ordering system detects from the Openreach database that there is an existing ONT and assumes that the order can proceed as a remote activation which can take just a few days and so estimates the early date. Once the order is submitted to Openreach , if their system detects a problem when testing the ONT ( hence my question as to it being powered ) then OR will require an engineer visit and hence the date gets pushed back.

Any ISP would be subject to the same procedure.

I'm going to ask the mods to separate your problem to its own thread to try and get more visibility to staff, who can then check exactly what's happened

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been split from another topic for better visibility and to help staff / OP.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'