Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No plug near master socket

andyf11

No plug near master socket

Hi

Not sure if I am asking in the right area but here goes

Currently live in a flat and where my master socket is there’s power next to so no problem, I am shortly moving to another property, the house has an old nte5 master socket but I’m told it’s disconnected at the exchange and I have a new install booked, my question is that where the old existing master socket is there’s no power anywhere near to plug my router in so I’m wondering what the best solution would be?

Do I buy a super long rj11, or if the old master socket has to be not physically in the property would the engineer re route the existing drop wire or run a new cable to upstairs basically directly above the old location where there is a power socket

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: No plug near master socket

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Which is a chargeable service.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@andyf11 

The fact that the old circuit is disconnected at the exchange does not mean that it won’t be reactivated.  Assuming that this is a FTTC service I don’t know if SOGEA lines need an exchange connection any more as the copper only needs a connection at your local FTTC cabinet.  FTTP is a totally new line to the property.

Assuming FTTC I would either have a long mains extension cable or RJ11 one available to get on line and wait to see how the service is activated before deciding how to tidy it up. I’ve read that tea and fig rolls/choccy biscuits can help with master socket location if you do get an engineer visit.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

andyf11

Hi

Yes it’s according to my order I think it says sogea fibre

I think I will just leave it alone and see what happens, I was told by plusnet customer service that it’s booked as a new installation but i guess that could mean anything as I was sort of hoping that they would replace the old nte5 with a master socket 5c, I’ve had a look online and there are longer rj11 to rj11 and also some are saying if they do replace the socket then you can use an rj45 to rj11 also so it may be one of my work colleagues who deal with be able to do something with cat 5
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

As part of the reactivation of the copper circuit to the property I would expect the Openreach technician will want perform a test inside the property, hopefully the NTE will be replaced then.

If you in a rentable property you may need the landlords permission to carry out socket moves.

EDIT: It has been suggested with the removal of the phone signal from the circuit a ADSL filter is not longer required, as the filters purpose was to remove the broadband signal from the phone handset and prevent interference from the phone handset.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

If booked as a new install you presumably want to try and convince the engineer that the socket needs to be both new type and near a power supply and the old socket is irrelevant.

I had a new SOGEA circuit installed recently (alongside a working ADSL/POTS line) and I "assisted" the engineer by pre-drilling a hole through my wall exactly where I wanted the cable to come in.

As it happens I have an overhead feed and there was a spare pair in the wire from the pole over the road so he just ran a new drop wire from the connector by my eaves. Seemed happy to do it that way despite it being a miserable wet day. A few biccies were consumed.....

As for a plug-in filter that will depend what faceplate you get fitted; a bulky dual-outlet BT/RJ11 one isn't really needed though it's probably what you'll get. If you get a basic single-socket one then a pug-in filter (as described in BTs own documents!) can be used purely as an adapter to connect to a router.

I went one stage simpler and wired an RJ11 cable directly to the appropriate terminals behind the single-socker faceplate, mainly for tidyness.

andyf11

Thanks for the advice, I’ll wait and see what happens on Friday, if I’ve got to run a temp extension then I’ll get some cat 5 from work and hopefully if they replace the old cream nte5 I will then possibly as mentioned above hardwire an extension to plug the hub in
HPsauce
Pro

A hardwired extension using normal (4-core?) phone cable should be fine and better than a long RJ11 cable.

RJ11 cables tend to be flat parallel wired whereas standard phone cable is in fact UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) so less prone to interference. Note: It's NOT UTP to Cat5e type specifications but that's probably not going to make any difference. And it's thinner, easier to route and less obvious than Cat5e so why not use it if you can find some?

( I actually have some LAN wiring in my house run over 4-core phone cable, it works fine up to 100mbps)

andyf11

I think I have some telephone cable but if not I’m sure I can get some, so if I wire it from the master socket then do I just fit a standard telephone extension socket? Don’t need to mess getting a cat 5 faceplate or anything and just plug the hub straight in using the dangly micro filter with the supplied cable,

Thanks for the advice
HPsauce
Pro

Indeed, just wire from inside the master socket using the correct UNFILTERED outputs.

You can do what you like at the router end, maybe acquire a RJ11 socket if you can, otherwise a standard BT extension socket with a dangly filter as an adapter. Or a suitable BT-RJ11 cable, these are/were often supplied with modems and certain types of phone.

If you do find a suitable BT-RJ11 cable just check which pair its using in the BT plug and make sure you wire the extension cable to that. USUALLY it's 2 and 5 but I have seen 3 and 4.