Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from non-Plusnet ADSL to Plusnet FTTP

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Migration from non-Plusnet ADSL to Plusnet FTTP

Hi,

The property currently has ADSL2+ not provided by Plusnet.  Options are only ADSL or FTTP, there's no FTTC or anything else available.

Looking at options Plusnet's service looks suitable as an upgrade, we don't need the landline.

I have a couple of questions about the process ..

(1) If I order from Plusnet will this replace the existing service, or would I need to cancel with them separately?

(2) What's the rough lead time for provisioning?  There's fibre at the pole on the boundary, but obviously not brought into the property.  Existing phone lines are overhead.

Thanks,

AS

11 REPLIES 11
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

Re: Migration from non-Plusnet ADSL to Plusnet FTTP

@aesmith 

Deal with PN only. Your order should cancel your existing service on the change over date. Note you may be subject to termination charges from your old provider.

The work required to bring the fibre to your property could be done in a day - fibre from the pole to an external box (CSP) and then into the house to the ONT. Have a look at the following. Full fibre shows as WBC FTTP in the left hand column but what you want to llok at is the narrative below the results window. It may say no problems expected for install.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

As to when it would simply come down to OpenReach engineer availability.

Brian

aesmith
Pro

Thanks. This is what the checker says ..Screenshot_20240514-113334~2.png

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 413

@aesmith 

(1) If I order from Plusnet will this replace the existing service, or would I need to cancel with them separately?

When you go through the ordering process it will detect an existing service and ask if you wish to retain it. Choose NO and as @bmc the existing service will be cancelled when FTTP is installed. This is actually done by Plusnet as a 'change of ownership cease' order on Openreach.

(2) What's the rough lead time for provisioning?  There's fibre at the pole on the boundary, but obviously not brought into the property.  Existing phone lines are overhead.

You checker results show install process as KCI2 Assure, which means that Openreach will survey first ( within 5 days I believe) to establish exactly what work is needed for an FTTP install. Only then will they commit to an install date. It's odd to see that for an o/h Feed ? Normally that's a 1-Stage as its just install a new o/h fibre feed. Is there any odd issues with cable routing ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@aesmith 

Thanks.

I forgot about the column to the right. As requested by @MisterW  are there any line of sight issues, access problems or anything else you think might interupt an install?

Brian

aesmith
Pro

Thanks. The area has had FTTP for quite a few years, this is what's on the pole on the lane leading to the house. The existing (copper) phone line is overhead, not sure if it comes from this exact pole or whether there's an intermediate. Would they run the aerial fibre on the same pole as copper?

IMG_0123.JPG

aesmith
Pro

@MisterW wrote:

You checker results show install process as KCI2 Assure, which means that Openreach will survey first ( within 5 days I believe) to establish exactly what work is needed for an FTTP install.

Thanks, do you know if anyone will need to be present for the survey?  I'll need to arrange access via relatives as I'm at the other end of the country. I'm just wondering whether I can do anything in advance or whether I should just kick off the order and see what happens.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Note that given this will effectively be a take over of the existing service (albeit a total replacement) there will be at least a 10 day Ofcom anti-slamming back-off delay.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@aesmith 

Is there something at the top of the pole that looks like this

CBT.jpg

This is a 4 port Customer (Connector?) Block Terminal (CBT) though they can go up to 12 port (at least). The fibre cable can replace the copper or run along side the copper. In years gone place they used a hybrid fibre/copper cable but that was before they stopped selling copper services.

Brian

aesmith
Pro

@bmc wrote:

@aesmith 

Is there something at the top of the pole that looks like this

Nothing like that as far as I can recall.  It looks like all cables come to and from that green box which is about shoulder height on the pole. Looking elsewhere suggests it's one of these ...

FTTP1.png

bmc
Hero

@aesmith 

I don't know but this looks like it could be an old fashioned 2 Stage install. A cable is run from this box to a CSP on your property which needs to be fused (joined) at both ends. Current installs have a pre-connected cable which just plugs into the unit I previously showed and fused at the CSP to the internal cable.

OR probably need to just look at the box and the line of sight to your property to confirm everything is straight forward. If so, there should be little delay.

They could proably do the survey without anyone present so long as there's no access issues.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@aesmith 

You could give the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 a phone to talk through the details but they may not know much more without the survey being done. They would know about the order process and the implications for your current supply.

Apart from that, the only way to find out for sure is to place the order and see what happens. Someone will need to be present on the day of install and if it's not you then they need to know where you want the ONT. There is a bit of leeway with this - it's the art of the possible against the desirable.

A power source is required for both the ONT and router. However, the router can go where ever you're happy running ethernet cable.

Brian