cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I upgrade to a Fibre without a landline service (aka SoGEA), will I be able to keep my static IP?

GrottoTree
Grafter

If I upgrade to a Fibre without a landline service (aka SoGEA), will I be able to keep my static IP?

As per the title, if I upgrade to a Fibre without a landline service (Commercially known as Single Order Generic Ethernet Access, aka SoGEA), will I be able to keep my existing static IP?

Currently have the "Unlimited Fibre Extra" product which includes line rental, and want to know if I upgrade to a landline-less SoGEA service with plusnet such as "Fibre", will I be able to keep my existing static IP?

Kind regards: Elliott.

14 REPLIES 14
zpeterk
Grafter

Re: If I upgrade to a Fibre without a landline service (aka SoGEA), will I be able to keep my static

When I changed to SOGEA I keeper my static IP address automatically

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: If I upgrade to a Fibre without a landline service (aka SoGEA), will I be able to keep my static

@GrottoTree , as @zpeterk says, your static IP should remain, although there have been a couple of instances where for some reason this hasn't happened, but they were sorted by the Help Team.

A  product change shouldn't affect your address.

John
GrottoTree
Grafter

Thanks.

I of course know I will lose my landline and phone number in the process when I migrate to a SoGEA based broadband service with Plusnet, however I also understand that I will lose my broadband If I port my landline number to a VoIP provider like Vonage for example.

Thus if I wish to port my telephone number to a 3rd party VoIP provider and also keep my existing static IP, what is the correct order to do things?

As I understand:

1) If I port my landline number to 3rd party VoIP provider first, it will automatically cancel (vs migrate) my existing broadband/landline/phone service and I will have to take out brand a new SoGEA based broadband service with Plusnet, likley with a new static IP.

2) If I migrate my existing broadband to a SoGEA based broadband service from Plusnet, I will lose my telephone number and thus not be able to port it to a 3rd party VoIP provider.

Seems a double edge sword. Not sure what's the best way forward wanting to keep my existing static IP and port my landline number to a 3rd party VoIP provider.

Being I do have a 2nd SoGEA based internet connection from another ISP, I guess the only way may be to port my landline number to the 3rd party VoIP provider first, and then take out brand a new SoGEA based broadband service with Plusnet and living with a with a new static IP from Plusnet.

Advice?

Regards: Elliott.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

@bmc , @MisterW  Can you advise please. I think I know the answer, but I don't want to give any  wrong information.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 406

@jab1 no problem John

@GrottoTree 

If I port my landline number to 3rd party VoIP provider first, it will automatically cancel (vs migrate) my existing broadband/landline/phone service and I will have to take out brand a new SoGEA based broadband service with Plusnet, likley with a new static IP.

I can confirm you are correct, porting the number first is NOT a good idea!

However...

If I migrate my existing broadband to a SoGEA based broadband service from Plusnet, I will lose my telephone number and thus not be able to port it to a 3rd party VoIP provider.

You have 30 days, after the landline is caesed, during which the number is retained and can be ported to a voip supplier.

Bear in mind though that some voip suppliers seem to have difficulty in porting 'non active' numbers. Vonage & Sipgate seem two that fail , A & A (Andrews & Arnold) seem one of the better ones.

Its probably worth reading though some of the threads in the 'Home phone' board, particularly 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/Phasing-out-home-phones/td-p/1947244

and https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/Split-phone-number-move-to-VoIP-from-broadband/m-p/1952622#...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@GrottoTree 

As stated, you move to SOGEA first and then you have 30 days from the date of change to port your number. You need to choose a VOIP provider that handles the port from a ceased line. A&A have been mentioned

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

If you were to go down the route of a new PN account you lose your email and any other add ons you may have.

Brian

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Also, if you cancel then order a different product there will probably be some sort of implementation fee and a delay of potentially a few days.

On the other hand you do have another line so if retaining the number is vital that's the lower-risk option, but with added costs and inconvenience.

GrottoTree
Grafter

Bit late to change VoIP providers now, I had already ordered Vonage (having been familiar with it, as my relatives have it) before I posted on here the other day. My Vonage service is now active with the default phone number you get.

I guess my three options are:

1) Migrate to a Plusnet SoGEA service and loose my existing number and use my new Vonage phone number going forward.

2) Port existing number whilst active and then when successfully migrated to Vonage, take out a SoGEA internet service with Plusnet.

3) Migrate to a Plusnet SoGEA service first, and then try and get Vonage to port my existing non active Plusnet phone number, despite what has been said on this thread about Vonage having difficulty in porting 'non active' numbers.

Regards: Elliott.

bmc
Hero

@GrottoTree 

If your number means something to you and you use PN email then there's nothing stopping you have two VOIP providers (apart from cost).

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@GrottoTree if losing your number would not be a total disaster, then I'd go with option 3..

Be prepared to badger Vonage, quote OFCOM general conditions and the ' right to port' and raise a formal complaint if necessary. Don't let them get away with  saying it's Plusnets fault, the porting process is Gaining provider led and it's their responsibility to resolve any problems!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GrottoTree
Grafter

Thanks all for the advice so far. I don't use plusnet for email and antivirus, so no loss there. Not to mention I have my 2nd internet connection with Zen that will be staying as is.

Just to clarify what is the issue with option 2?

(i.e. Port my existing plusnet number whilst active and then when successfully migrated to Vonage, take out a new SoGEA internet service with Plusnet. )

If I understand and relating to above, am I right in thinking that the issue is that it would be time consuming and messy to close my existing broadband/phone service and then open a new one back up, what the latter would also incur a one of implementation and static IP fees?

Kind regards.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You would also be subject to ETCs if you are still in a minimum term contract.

GrottoTree
Grafter

Thankfully I am out of contract on that one.

bmc
Hero

@GrottoTree 

You could phone PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to see what they say.

As far as I understand A&A charge £1.40 a month for a VOIP account plus a £15 port transfer cost. Doesn't break the bank if you were to run two VOIP accounts.

Brian