Did you mean: 

Can't active router/box on the day

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Can't active router/box on the day

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

... as I am on Unlimited Fibre Extra why would I downgrade?

Dan,

In reality, you would not be downgrading.  SOGEA is provisioned on an as fast as the line will go basis, so it one maxs out at 80/20 (as did my business service) then though on FIBRE 74 one should still see 80/20 which is the provisioned product.

The '74' is Ofcom / ASA compliant expectation management of what some percentage of the population sees as an average, which probably creates more confusion that is sought to eradicate!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

I could be wrong but my interpretation is that Plusnet only sell one FTTC  product, namely Fibre.  However, there are two Openreach products that Plusnet use, 40/10 and 80/20. If the estimated line speed will only support the lower speed range then the customer is put on the 40/10 product.

@Baldrick1 your interpretation is absolutely correct!. The customer orders 'Fibre' but it appears that the product may show on the account as either 'Fibre 74'  or 'Fibre 38' depending on what has been provisioned.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

@jab1@Dan_the_Van

I wish PN - and others - would name their offerings so they made sense, but I suppose that is asking too much?

I thought SoGEA was provisioned on 80/20?

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

If I look at a range of plusnet competitors (Zen, BT, EE, Shell, TT) for my address they all offer me a product based on either Fibre 38 or Fibre 74 

Only plusnet offer me Fibre, but as I am on Unlimited Fibre Extra why would I downgrade?

HTH

@Townman 

Think my post may be confusing, it was written in response to @jab1 message #6 who was complaining about the naming conventions for SOGEA. Two other posts are between his and mine; I didn't tag him.

Edit: I will admit to being surprised that you found it necessary to lecture me.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MisterW  Just to add to the Product naming confusion I re-contracted to 80/20 SOGEA around the 25th of March and I can see no mention of Fibre 74 anywhere on my account details, billing or Tickets so when you say ..."it appears that the product may show on the account as either 'Fibre 74'  or 'Fibre 38' " it also may not, mine is defined as just "Fibre".🤔

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Dan_the_Van

Sorry about the perceived tone. Certainly not intended. Other stress of the day must be leaking out!!

Embarrassed

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I could be wrong but my interpretation is that Plusnet only sell one FTTC  product, namely Fibre.  However, there are two Openreach products that Plusnet use, 40/10 and 80/20. If the estimated line speed will only support the lower speed range then the customer is put on the 40/10 product.

Are you sure about that? I am on FTTC 40/10 but that was just what I originally ordered/was offered (and all I needed). AFAIK I could be on a faster FTTC. From the BT Broadband Availability Checker:

VDSL Range A (Clean)  High 80, Low 71.4, Downstream Handback Threshold 65.5 Mbps

Max Observed Downstream Speed VDSL 71.46 Mbps

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@pvmb Are you on SOGEA or FTTC+phone?

John
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

...FTTC + Phone.

jab1
Legend

Ah, so you are on the 40/10 product, but certainly could get much higher if needed - what do you get on a speed test, ignoring that figure in your original post, using say, speedtest.net?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Are you sure about that? I am on FTTC 40/10 but that was just what I originally ordered/was offered (and all I needed). AFAIK I could be on a faster FTTC. From the BT Broadband Availability Checker:

@pvmb previously, Plusnet offered two FTTC ( with phone ) products, Unlimited fibre which was limited to 40/10 and Unlimited fibre extra at up to 80/20. They were priced differently and the user could choose the slower but cheaper option even if their line was capable of higher speeds.

The current situation is that there is only one FTTC ( without phone ) product called Fibre at a standard. price and is as fast as the line is capable of. If the estimates are > 40Mb then Plusnet will provision the line on 80/20, if it's not estimated as capable then Plusnet will provision on 40/10.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

@jab1 wrote:

Ah, so you are on the 40/10 product, but certainly could get much higher if needed - what do you get on a speed test, ignoring that figure in your original post, using say, speedtest.net?

speedtest.net seems to give some pretty peculiar results!

DOWNLOAD Mbps 7.65; UPLOAD Mbps 6.95

DOWNLOAD Mbps 4.28; UPLOAD Mbps 6.09

As opposed to the usual BTW Performance  test:

DOWNLOAD 35.25 Mbps
UPLOAD 9.39 Mbps

The speedtest.net figure changes over time in strange ways and is extremely sensitive to the location of the server. I get the impression it is measuring the performance of UK Internet links and servers rather than the speed of my connection!
jab1
Legend

That is weird - it is very accurate for me. You obviously can get 80/20, as demonstrated by one of your earlier posts, but would lose your landline if you went for it.

John
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the explanation, MisterW. I did wonder if that was the case, I recently started on my second contract period with my existing package.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

@pvmb wrote:

speedtest.net seems to give some pretty peculiar results!

DOWNLOAD Mbps 7.65; UPLOAD Mbps 6.95

DOWNLOAD Mbps 4.28; UPLOAD Mbps 6.09

As opposed to the usual BTW Performance  test:

DOWNLOAD 35.25 Mbps
UPLOAD 9.39 Mbps

The speedtest.net figure changes over time in strange ways and is extremely sensitive to the location of the server. I get the impression it is measuring the performance of UK Internet links and servers rather than the speed of my connection!

WRT earlier speedtest.net figures above. Clearly something wrong somewhere today. Judging by the results and here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Is-there-a-network-problem-Only-getting-3Mbps-down/td-p/1968...

speedtes.net still giving very variable speeds, but some much higher than above figures now.