cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Death of customer: delay closing account?

FIXED
edward50
Dabbler

Death of customer: delay closing account?

An elderly relative with a Plusnet broadband and landline account has died. I managed her financial affairs (including arranging her Plusnet account) and am now her executor. I assume that there should be no problem in closing her account, which was renewed for 18 months in March. However, it would be very helpful to keep it open on a rolling month-by-month basis, to use when I visit her house for several days at a time (a three-hour journey from my home) while administering the estate. Any views, please, on whether Plusnet might be open to such an arrangement?

11 REPLIES 11
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

Re: Death of customer: delay closing account?

@edward50 - Thanks for reaching out to me on here and I'm really sorry to hear about the loss.

I'm afraid the account can only be changed into the name of who is a family member. That means the only option would be for you to close the account as long as you can pass security. Does an immediate family member have an interest in taking over the account? As well, do you/they know the username and password for the account to pass security?

(Please don't reply with the username and password for security reasons)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@edward50 

Assuming the account isn't closed yet and the associated bank account is still running just continue to make payments and use the account. PN wouldn't be any wiser.

When the time comes simply speak to PN to close the account citing the death of the account holder.

Brian

edward50
Dabbler

Thank you for your prompt reply; I appreciate your help. I would be able to pass security (you already have my details as a person authorised to deal with you over the account), but there is no family member wanting to take the account over, at least not permanently. My relative lived alone, and her house will be sold. I will need to visit it on several occasions, for days at a time, in my capacity as executor. My concern is that if I take the account over, I will then be tied in to the remainder of the contract period, which her estate will not need. If I could be allowed to take it over but then end it when I no longer need it, that would be helpful - and would give Plusnet some extra business, as the alternative is not to take it over at all.

edward50
Dabbler

(Previous reply was to James30.) Thank you bmc for letting me have your thoughts, I am always touched by the helpfulness of forum contributors.

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@edward50  I see, in that case perhaps you could just wait till a convenient time to close the account as @bmc says. There no rush in terms of our processes to close the account in such saddening circumstances.

How long would you need it active for? The account will stay running happily if the payments continue and if in the next few months you want it closing then, you could contact us back then if that's any help

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Plusnet Help Team
edward50
Dabbler

Thank you James30, that's very helpful. The only slight hitch is that my relative's bank account is now frozen. The most recent payment was taken only a few days ago. Is there a simple process for changing the bank account from which payments are taken?

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

@edward50 - Sure, anyone with permission can pay the bill, it doesn't need to be the account holder's bank so you can head over to portal.plus.net and update the Direct Debit / card details to yours, would that work for you? 

Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

@edward50 have a look at the help pages here https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/paying-your-bill/

in particular the FAQ 'Can I change my direct debit details or payment method'

Note that it can take a while to get a new direct debit active. If the previous debit has only just been taken then it should give time for a new one to be active. However be prepared to have to pay at least one bill by card.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

edward50
Dabbler

Thank you James30, I have done that, so my problem is solved. (By the way, there was a small glitch in the process. The relevant web page displayed sub-optimally on my PC on both Chrome and Microsoft Edge: on both browsers, it would not scroll down far enough to reveal the button one has to click on in order to start changing the payment method. However, it displayed OK on AVG Secure Browser and Firefox.)

Many thanks to all who replied.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@James30 wrote:

I'm afraid the account can only be changed into the name of who is a family member.

Hi James,

Is this defined anywhere please?  The OP stated that they are a (unspecified) relative, which usually makes them a family member in common parlance.

We know that it does not mean any "household" member, for example another person in a (for example student) house share.  Is it limited to linear family members...

• Spouse / Civil Partner - what about significant other living together under no legal contract
  • Parent
  • Grand-parent
  • Child
  • Grandchild
  • What about a sibling

Not Aunt, Uncle, Nice nor Nephew?  What if they are members of the same household as the deceased - for example father's surviving brother lives with nice and partner?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 28

Hi @Townman 

Our full bereavement policy is stated her: Letting us know about a bereavement | Help | Plusnet

To transfer the account, it would need to be an immediate family member or nearest blood relative - 

Also, the existing contract would've been transferred as well so if the contract is due to run out in 12 months for example but you only want it for 2 or 3 months, it'd be best to tell us at a later date. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team