cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Full Fibre Packages

Nick1

Changing Full Fibre Packages

Hi,

My area has just been upgraded to Full Fibre and I’m planning on upgrading from FTTC in the next week or so. What I’m wondering is if I order say the 900mb package could I downgrade to one of the lower speed packages during my contract.

thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Changing Full Fibre Packages

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Nick1 

Unless you absolutely need 900 I would go low (say 300) and upgrade if required. There is a WiFi limitation of under 500 unless you have WiFi6 capable devices (and a router that supports it).

You can upgrade at any time at the cost of a new contract but downgrading can cost money.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Nick1 

Apart from bragging rights, think carefully about why you need 900Mbps. You can't use this speed on WiFi unless you spend an arm and a leg on both a WiFi 6 or better router and the connected equipment. The Plusnet Hub 2 is only WiFi 5. Also, look at the cost of the additional time it will take to download any really big packages and how often this occurs. Calculate in £s per hour the cost of avoiding waiting those extra minutes.

As advised, start at a more practicable speed and only update if you feel the need. You will find it easy to upgrade to a faster product but you are likely to find that downgrading without a financial penalty much more problematic.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'm also in this position so thanks for the advice - very helpful.

It does seem as though the really speedy options are being mis-sold if the kit that is provided by PN won't support the guaranteed speed rates. I suspect there are a chunk of people who see their BB connection as so essential they want to have the best speed possible and they will be a bit cheesed off when they cant achieve them because of the limitation you have outlined.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@the_groundsman 

"It does seem as though the really speedy options are being mis-sold"

I think that's a little harsh, a computer connected by a cable will achieve even the fastest speeds.

The problem is limited understanding by customers and a "bigger is better" mentality which is reinforced by the marketing of broadband products.

The art of the "upsell" is marketing 101 and allows the more "careful" customer to consider the actual requirements.

I've kept an eye on my peak download and upload speeds in "normal use" (I have a router that can tell me that) and the Plusnet "Full Fibre 145" meets my actual requirements.

I am the satisfied customer....