cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have FTTp and FTTC run at the same time

BRABUS
Grafter

Can I have FTTp and FTTC run at the same time

I am considering moving to FTTP but I am dependant on my internet and my phone line .  My question is, can I have FTTP and FTTC run at the same time until I am sure that the FTTP is working properly.

I am just concerned that the FTTC and my phone would be switched off before we are certain the FTTp is stable and I would lose my internet and most importantly my phone line.

sorry to sound dull but my searching in here didn’t revealed any obvious answers.

5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

Re: Can I have FTTp and FTTC run at the same time

@BRABUS 

Not on the same account I would imagine.

Is your property served by an overhead or underground copper cable? If the former there's a good chance the copper cable will be removed as part of the install.

All things being well downtime for a switch should be no more than a couple of hours max.

Brian

Edit : You loose the phone line anyway with PN - you need to go to VOIP.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
BRABUS
Grafter

My copper cable comes underground.  Maybe it is something I can speak to plusnet about.

I can’t be without a phone for a few hours so this is why I was asking.

as fir the phone being finished, I am aware of this, it’s just a shame that they are not offering VOIP service.  I do wonder if they are trying to get people to leave and go to EE who are offering this service,

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@BRABUS 

As it's underground there is potential for having both but FTTP would need to be as a new account which would casuse later problems if you use a PN email address or have referrels - you'd lose both when you close the FTTC account.

Speak to the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to find out your options.

With the phone is your number important to you? If it is then you're in trouble. If can take a few days for a number "port" to VOIP.

PN will transfer you to BT free of any early termination charges if organised through them. This should get you past any significant down time on the phone service (though it would be BT's version of VOIP).

There are other providers who do both.

Brian

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@BRABUS 

I'd suggest the simplest approach is:

1. order a new FTTP connection - i.e. not an upgrade of your existing FTTC connection. That will be a new account name, and will have no e-mail or phone.
  2. once FTTP is installed and you are happy with it, transfer your FTTC phone number to a VoIP provider of your choice. VoIP will run over FTTP, and the transfer of the number will automatically cancel your FTTC connection and land-line.