Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full fibre yesterday very good but

FIXED
frund
Hooked

Full fibre yesterday very good but

Can I keep my old phone? The new router has a socket under a black sticky label that would fit my phone. Customers only.

I would like anytime calls. 

Our mobiles are unlimited but old family ring old obsolete land line

Suggestions please.

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Full fibre yesterday very good but

@frund Plusnet do not off a Digital Phone service. If you wish to keep your old 'landline' number, you need to port it out to a third party VoIP provider - there are plenty of topics on this subject, but maybe one of the more knowledgable Community members will advise.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

@frund the phone socket on the Hub 2 is non-functional and as @jab1 says , Plusnet are not offering a Digital phone service.

If you require such a service you will need to obtain a service from a third party supplier. For a cost effective service for mainly incoming calls , I suggest you look at Andrews & Arnold https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Note that if you wish to retain your old phone number you only have 30 days, from the date your phone was ceased, to arrange the number port.

You would also need to acquire some voip equipment such as an ATA (Analog telephone adapter) to connect your existing phone.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Just to add that you don't HAVE to acquire any equipment if you have a smartphone. There are Apps that will function as a VOIP phone to make/receive calls via you chosen VOIP provider.

If you want to keep the number as noted you have at most 30 days (act well before) to "grab" the number that was ceased. So make sure you do that.

Many (including me) have chosen A&A as they seem to be very competent at making sure your number is transferred successfully. If however you're after an "anytime" calls package I'm not sure they do that. I no longer use my "landline" number for outgoing calls anyway, my mobile has a more than adequate calls package included at minimal cost; I expect most people are similar.

If you do go down the A&A route they (others may also) definitely include a free "answering machine" service that emails you a digital recording of any messages left. So even before you can receive calls people can ring your number and leave messages you can get easily.

frund
Hooked

Thanks for your help gentlemen I shall be looking into your suggestions today. Many thanks.

frund
Hooked

Sorted , AA supply The ATA adaptor fully configured and gave me the porting link below.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/number-porting/

I will order later after ride on BSA, just to keep our elderly relatives happy. ( I'm only 81 Bantam D14/4 ) 

Thanks again

mystreet1
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Fix

Hi,

Just make sure that you select 'single and blocks' on that link

Port Numbers in (aa.net.uk)

If you choose 'broadband line' you are transferring your old phone line broadband and number to them.

Have been a member for years, but cannot find my login details and when requested a PW reset, goes round in circles, hence new account.