cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV or dedicated monitor for console gaming?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: TV or dedicated monitor for console gaming?

Quote from: Devonian
This puppy.

Does that mean that not only can you hear bad guys sneaking up on you from behind but If you turn round in the room you can also see them...with the 3D Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Devonian
Grafter

Exactly that!
Gaming in 3D is amazing by the way...  it takes a little to get used to, but it blows your mind!
The first game I played in 3D was Black Ops, I had to learn the game all over again, it is that different.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've never enjoyed 3D enough at the cinema to consider it at home - is the 'experience' vastly different?
picbits
Rising Star

I have never managed to enjoy 3D at the cinema either Ben - I end up getting a bit disorientated and spend half the film trying to focus.
It is pretty amazing on my home TV but again, I found it to be a bit gimmicky and we only used the feature a couple of times.
The stepson has a game on his Xbox 360 which is in 3D - he played it for an hour then went back to 2D
Strat
Community Veteran

My grandson has BF3 and we tried it in 3D.
It looks good but seems to complicate game play and we weren't impressed.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Connor1MacLeod

I have my PC, XBOX ONE, & XBOX 360 connected to a 55" 3D LED TV with 5.1 surround sound system.
I would prefer the resolution of a monitor but they're too small, as I game in a recliner 6ft away from the screen.
For me, the pros to playing on a large screen TV is mainly aesthetic. The immersion factor is massively increased.
The cons are that I find that playing on a screen that size is a disadvantage in gaming, as I often miss action taking place at the edges of the screen.
To be honest after gaming for about 35 years, I'm just old, half blind and have the reactions of a dead donkey.
Grff
Grafter

I've got a 37 Toshiba Regza TV.  It's a little old now, but it's still doing the job nicely. Works fine with Xbox One and Sky on pass through, and basic voice commands work like volume up and down.
I fancy a new big 3D TV, but can't really justify it yet.
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: Connor1MacLeod
To be honest after gaming for about 35 years, I'm just old, half blind and have the reactions of a dead donkey.

I'm staking a claim to be the oldest console gamer at 66.
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: Griff
I fancy a new big 3D TV, but can't really justify it yet.

So did I so I bought one. I've used the 3D twice in six months.
Devonian
Grafter

3D is used all the time here.  Especially the 2d-3d upscale.
Wouldn't buy a tv without it now.
Connor1MacLeod

Pong was my first "console" game, 2 lines and a pixel gave me hours of amusement. How things have moved on since then.
I knew when I bought my 3D TV that I would never use the 3D. I even have the SKY 3D channel and I've never put it on. 3D gaming is fun for all of a few minutes and 3D movies and TV are just a gimmick I think.
I have no plans to go much bigger than 55-60". Picture quality is the main thing I look for. I certainly won't rush out for a 4K TV until we have 50 channels in 4K. As for these curved screens, I will avoid them like the plague. It's only me using my TV and so the better viewing angle is irrelevant to me. I'd rather buy a nice gaming chair instead and a better surround system.