cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using older router for full fibre

FIXED
Matt68

Using older router for full fibre

Hi. Engineer came today and installed full fibre broadband, but due to the Royal Mail strike there is no sign of the new Plusnet 2 hub coming anytime soon. The old fibre broadband seems to be switched of and is no longer available. I have last Plusnet router and an original BT Smart Hub (the first version not the second version). The Openreach engineer suggested that the BT Smart Hub 1 could be used by using an ethernet cable and converting Port 4 to a red port. He wasn't able to figure out how to do it though. Would be grateful of any help while waiting for the arrival of the new router.
5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Re: Using older router for full fibre

Fix

It should work if you plug an ethernet cable into the WAN port of the Hub One then the other end into the ONT.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Matt68

Thank you for such a quick reply Gandalf. The Openreach engineer told me that the Plusnet hub i already had wouldn't work. Just set it up as you described and it does indeed work. Much appreciated.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

@Matt68 the only proviso with using the Hub 1 is that, if you've got one of the higher speed packages, you will find that your upstream speed will be limited to about 30Mb. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Matt68

Thank you MisterW, good to know. We're currently getting 30Mb with the old router and that's more than enough for us while waiting for the new router.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Matt68 wrote:
The Openreach engineer suggested that the BT Smart Hub 1 could be used by using an ethernet cable and converting Port 4 to a red port. He wasn't able to figure out how to do it though. Would be grateful of any help while waiting for the arrival of the new router.

For the record, the ‘engineer’ was wrong.

I believe that the Smarthub 2 can be configured this way but there were two versions of the original Smarthub. The FTTP version was called something like Ultrafast and has a permanent WAN port like the Plusnet Hub 2

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'