cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited Fibre Speed

Ndbrails
Dabbler

Limited Fibre Speed

FTTP has just been enabled at my location and having waited for years for this service I jumped on the opportunity to upgrade from my 18mbps. I ordered the full 900mbps package only to be contacted a week later to be told that due to the infrastructure I could only have 300mbps. I was disappointed but the customer agent advised me to speak to the installer. Finally fibre day arrived and I did follow the instructions however the installer had no answer as to why I was limited. This has left a bitter taste as I was under the impression that fibre does not have the same signal loss as copper.
Has anyone had this same issue?
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

Re: Limited Fibre Speed

@Ndbrails Sounds strange!. There are some situations where older FTTP equipment i.e headend and/or ONT are previously installed that can only handle 300Mb. Since yours is a new install I dont see how it can be an old ONT and you say FTTP has only recently been made available so I can't see how it is old headend equipment unless they (Openreach) have extended a previous long standing FTTP enabled area.

It's more likely an incorrect Openreach database but the problem is its a 'computer says no' issue. Openreach will not accept an order from any ISP for >300 Mb if their database says not available.

Do any of your neighbours have > 300Mb connections ?

TBH if you mainly use wifi, then you will struggle to get much more than 350Mb anyway, unless both your router and devices are Wifi 6 compatible (the Plusnet Hub 2 is only Wifi 5). I have a 900Mb connection, but sat 10ft from my router (also wifi 5) on my laptop I max out at around 370Mb. On a wired connection from my desktop I get 900Mb with no problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ndbrails
Dabbler

Thanks for you response. I am the first to get FTTC from the telegraph pole so not sure about what others are getting.
I’ve Ethernet cables running through the house which my son’s Xbox is connected to. Now don’t get me wrong here the speed increase is epic as I was getting 18mbps prior to Wednesday, but I’d like to have the faster speeds if they are available. I’ve resubmitted my upgrade request so we will see where that gets.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I am the first to get FTTC from the telegraph pole

Im assuming you mean FTTP ?

Lets see what happens to the upgrade but my guess is its a database error.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ndbrails
Dabbler

Yes I did mean FTTP - doh
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Ndbrails does the BT wholesale checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

show WBC FTTP available at 1000Mb or 300Mb ? and what does it show for neighbouring addresses ?

Ndbrails
Dabbler

Up to 330 🥺
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ah! looks like a database issue, keep an eye on the checker , it may change to 1000 in a little while, Until then I would guess that its not possible to upgrade