cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just moved to Plusnet from Vodafone...............

TechnicalMarvel
Hooked

Just moved to Plusnet from Vodafone...............

Hey Everyone.  Within the last couple of days my full fibre broadband was activated with plusnet and moved from Vodafone, and it seems the issue I was having with them and which caused me to leave in the first place is repeating itself.  Initially I joined their 100mb FTTP plan and it worked fine, so I decided to upgrade to 500 and never managed to get!   I know there is a 10 day period, but was under the impression that this didnt applied to Full Fibre?? Anyway, Im on the 500mb plan with PN and am only seeing around 170mb, and today I received a text from open reach which stated that they have detected my ONT might not be connected correctly to my router.  (it is).  Myself and vodafone 2nd level support went through multiple tests and multiple times of the day (all using direct ethernet connection) and it doesnt appear to be something inside the house.  One of the VF techs said he could see something wrong with the network in the area outside but never arranged to have openreach go take a look at it, and even suggested the line could be capped?  The infrastructure in my village is all brand spanking new.  They spend months kitting out the entire village with brand new cabinets, fibre to the premises cabling and everything that goes with it.  I'm hoping some light could be shed here.

TIA for your answers Smiley

Tags (3)
15 REPLIES 15
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

Re: Just moved to Plusnet from Vodafone...............

know there is a 10 day period, but was under the impression that this didnt applied to Full Fibre?? 

Correct. FF has no training period.

Which router are you using and are all your speed tests wired ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TechnicalMarvel
Hooked

Hey and thanks for replying. I’m using the latest smart hub 2. Yes all speed tests are ethernetted.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Are the speed tests using the router built in speed test ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TechnicalMarvel
Hooked

Yes, it takes me to the bt wholesale website when I click. Same results are returned from
Speedtest.net too. I’m starting think this is an issue with the new cabling outside or the new cabinet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Strange! Any chance you could connect a device ( say a  laptop ) directly to the ONT and make a PPPoE connection ? and then try the speedtest.net, preferably the cli version.

That would prove conclusively whether the problem is internal or external

I’m starting think this is an issue with the new cabling outside or the new cabinet.
There is no cabinet for FTTP,  it's fibre all the way . Fttp either works at the provisioned speed or not at all

TechnicalMarvel
Hooked

I don’t own a laptop if I’m honest that might be a little too technical. I do think however with the amount of different things I tried with Vodafone l2 support that it’s been proven that it’s outside the home. Literally tried everything. Reset the router, new router, reset the ONT, replace the router firmware. This all started when whoever initiated the 100mg to 500mg upgrade. Something must have been done or has failed during that process. They even had me ringing them every night after work to get updates and was getting different stories each time. It was incredibly frustrating.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Just to check, are you conducting the speed test via WiFi or a wired Ethernet connection?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

But the circuit will have been reprovisioned when you moved to Plusnet so any error by vodafone should have been removed.

Your 170Mb speed test is odd, if it was a provisioning error it would be at 145Mb or 300Mb which are the only lower speed options. If the tests were showing say 100Mb it would likely be a cat5 only  ethernet cable or a 100Mb nic  somewhere limiting the speed

TechnicalMarvel
Hooked

The router cable they sent me for going from the ont to the router is a cat 5e. Maybe this? Surely they wouldn’t send a cable that causes this? Oddly tho, the upload speed is perfect! The pc I’m using is high spec. It’s a gaming PC. The nic is capable.
TechnicalMarvel
Hooked

Hey Richard 🙂. Always Ethernet mate.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The router cable they sent me for going from the ont to the router is a cat 5e. Maybe this? 

Cat5e is gigabit capable , I'm using it on my 900Mb fttp connection without any problem

If it was a cable problem it would be limiting to 100Mb.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@TechnicalMarvel 

"Are the speed tests using the router built in speed test ?"

" Yes, it takes me to the bt wholesale website when I click."

I notice on the speed test page that there is a button to click "if you are testing 500Mb/1000Mb product". (See attachment).

Are you using that other test or the first one that the router goes to?

TechnicalMarvel
Hooked

There is no other test. If you click that button you mention, it tells you to make sure that you are using a device capable of the product you are testing. My pc exceeds these specs. I am also using a cat 6 Ethernet cable for good measure
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@TechnicalMarvel 

Judging by your username you shouldn't find it as difficult as you stated to perform a speed test using a computer connected via a PPPoE session directly to the ONT as suggested earlier by @MisterW ; his suggestion of using a laptop (which you say you don't have) was just an example, why not use your gaming PC?