cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Solid orange light

Ben1
Grafter

Sorry to piggyback on this thread but I have identical problems, solid orange light and no Internet. I’ve tried resetting several times but no joy…
29 REPLIES 29
Ben1
Grafter

FWIW we appear to have had a mains power outage overnight last night.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been split from another to help customer and staff 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hi @Ben1

I'm sorry to see you can't get online after a power outage overnight. 

Based on what you've said and testing your line, I suspect your router's developed a fault.

I've arranged to send you a new one now you should receive within the next 3 to 5 working days.

Let us know how it goes once you've got it. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ben1
Grafter

Thank you very much indeed, I look forward to receiving it.
Ben1
Grafter

Hi I received The replacement router this morning. I’ve followed all the set up instructions but I am still getting a steady orange light.

I can’t connect to 192.168.1.254 also (server stops responding)
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Ben1, thanks for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear your new router still isn't getting the connection going. If you haven't already, then I'd recommend replacing the filter (if you use one) and power cables that came with the new router in case it's one of these things behind the current lack of connection. If the issue persists then finally I'd recommend plugging your router into what's called the test socket and seeing if the issue persists.

How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how it goes.

Ben1
Grafter

When I connected the new router to the other port on the fibre box (LAN2) the router stayed orange but additionally had a flashing orange broadband light on it. Which is exactly what the situation was 4 days ago before you sent the new device. Shall I restart the fibre box?
dvorak

Do you have an external modem?
If you have an hub one it's an all in one box and doesn't need the external modem.
Or are you on the FTTP trial?
Customer / Moderator
Ben1
Grafter

Thanks. I don't think I have a test socket as I have fibre. I have used all the new components (cables, power supply) but still nothing.
dvorak

Is that FTTP?
Customer / Moderator
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Ben1, thanks for getting back to us. I can confirm that although you're on a fibre to the cabinet product that your connection from outside of your property to the cabinet still uses the standard copper cabling and why we'd advise checking the test socket to see if this helps.
As mentioned in the guide above, the test socket can usually be located in the property at the first location where the phone line reaches the property and steps on how to remove the faceplate can be found in the guide.

It sounds like you may have up until recently used a separate modem and router set-up. In which case, as it could be the modem which is causing the issues I'd advise removing the modem out of your set-up as the new Hub One router you were sent operates both as a modem and router and therefore saves the need of a modem.
If you plug the router in the socket where the modem was plugged into and give the router a factory reset, hopefully within minutes your light goes blue and you're up and running.The DSL cable that connections the socket/filter to your router should go into the red WAN input on the back of the router.

How to factory reset the router:
This can be done by pressing a pin, cocktail stick etc.. into the "reset hole on the back of the router for 5-15 seconds. You should see the router reboot and then within a few minutes hopefully this may have resolved the issue you're seeing.

Let us know how it goes.

Ben1
Grafter

I don’t know what that means. I just have a BT fibre box and your router. My friend popped round and lent me his Apple Time Capsule which is also a router. Whats tte correct way to test it? I have plugged it into the fibre box.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Ben1 

Let's start again.

1. Discard all the boxes that you are currently using.

2. Connect the DSL cable that has come with your new hub between the hub and either the DSL socket part of your BT master socket if you have one or to the phone output if it's the single outlet type via the filter that came with the hub.

3. Switch on the hub and see if you get a blue light. If so it's up and running.

4. If it's red then go on to this separate procedure:

1. Log in to the hub by putting 192.168.1.254 in the address field of your web browser.
  2. On the broadband page (I think, you may need to look through the pages to find it, depending on which hub you have) you should find the username. If it’s setup@plusdsl.net then it hasn’t configured itself.
  3. Remove the DSL cable.
  4. Change the username to your account username in the form <username>@plusdsl.net.
  5. Enter your account password.
  6. Plug the DSL cable back in.
  7. If it doesn’t try to connect select Connect (again you may need to look through he pages to find it).
  8. If that doesn't work then come back here.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Ben1, thanks for getting back to me.
I can confirm when checking your account you're not on fibre to the premises and are on fibre to the cabinet so the modem you mentioned should still be using your phone socket to plug into and this is where we'd advise plugging your HubOne router in.
As the HubOne router is both a modem and router it means there's no need for the old BT modem (where I beleive the issue may be) along with the borrowed Apple Time Capsule.
If you go ahead and plug the HubOne router into the socket first of all via the guide that came in the box with it then this should hopefully get you back connected.

If not, as mentioned above, try the test socket instead of just the front of the socket and see if it connects. Steps on how to do this can be seen in the guide above.

Let us know how it goes and when you have the HubOne connected as we can re-test this side looking for change.

Moderators Note: Corrected typo which could have caused confusion.