Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach digging driveway up for neighbours Fibre BT connection

PeteM
Grafter

Openreach digging driveway up for neighbours Fibre BT connection

Hi,

My neighbour is with BT, and Openreach will be digging my driveway up to lay a duct to their house (shared driveway), I'm guessing for FTTP.  My main concern is of loss of service whilst the work is underway, and possible degradation of service afterwards. Asking the Openreach engineer directly, he said I would need "to ask my supplier". I'm on unlimited fibre extra with Plusnet.

Anyone have any experience of this or comments?

Many thanks,

Pete

5 REPLIES 5
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Openreach digging driveway up for neighbours Fibre BT connection

@PeteM  It probably is FTTP being installed, why aren't you ordering it as well? Apart from the fact that Plusnet don't offer it so you would have to change ISP.🙄

As for it affecting your service it is nothing to do with your FTTC connection. FTTP is a totally separate system so there will be no downtime or change to your service unless Openreach do something badly wrong and damage your cabling which is unlikely.

PeteM
Grafter

Many thanks! Yeah, I'm just getting used to the dizzy heights of 40ish down , don't think my heart could take it 😉

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@PeteM 

I assume you've checked and that WBC FTTP is available to your property (and your neighbours).

Normally the FTTP cable is laid through the underground duct to the house or they replace the over head cable with a hybrid fibre / copper one.

I suspect your neighbour may have a blocked duct which is why they're having to dig. Have you asked them?

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@bmc wrote:

@PeteM 

I suspect your neighbour may have a blocked duct which is why they're having to dig. Have you asked them?

Our house was built in the 70s. It has an underground telephone cable. If it has a duct then it must terminate somewhere under our solid oak hall floor and be totally inaccessible. Some years back a neighbour had a problem and a new trench was dug for a duct, I therefore assumed that the cable is just burried with no duct.

This astonished me as some years earlier gas was brought to our village and the gas pipe was simply 'moled' across my front lawn to a small hole that they dug then down the side of the house and came up in exactly the place where I needed the Gas meter to be installed. This pipe was easily the size needed to accomodate a telecom copper or fibre cable. Is this a BT job creation scheme?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dodger21
Grafter

If the cables are run together you may find that yours is run in a duct at the same time or maybe partly done.

From the work I’ve seen the do a neat job of repairing the drives (tarmac ones) at least