cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband switch yet

paulbay
Grafter

No broadband switch yet

I recently switched to Plusnet phone and broadband package (on 19th August). The phone switch happened OK on the 6th September but we are still waiting for the broadband. We are switching from ADSL on our old ISP to Unlimited Fibre with Plusnet. When I look at the order tracker online I can see that there was some sort of problem with the line test, but I don't know what that was or what is being done to address it. Can anyone from Plusnet advise what the problem is and what the expected timescale for resolution is, as it is nearly 4 weeks since the original order.

12 REPLIES 12
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Re: No broadband switch yet

Hello Paul, I am sorry to hear you have had barely any communication in regarding your services being transferred across from John Lewis to Plusnet.

I have had a look into your account and confirm everything is now up and running for you. I have sent you a service notice in regards to this, you can view this by Clicking Here

Hope this has helped.

paulbay
Grafter

Thanks Dumbledore. It does seem to be working now...but just a couple of problems/questions.

1) the connection speeds are pretty much the same as I had on ADSL. Will these increase over the next few days? I kind of expected to start high and then decrease to a stable setting.

2) I cannot get my own modem/router to connect to your services. It is a TP-link Archer VR600 and is VDSL capable. I have tried setting it to VDSL and enabling VLAN with a VLAN ID of 101. However it does not seem to want to connect. I would rather use these as I have only recently bought it and is (I think) better than the Plusnet Home hub. Do you have any suggestions as to why it is failing to connect? I followed the instructions as given by yourselves and these I found on a search:-

I recently switched to Plusnet’s “Unlimited Fibre” package, but as soon as the transfer took place I was disconnected.  I’m using my own router instead of a PlusNet-supplied one. It’s a TP-LINK Archer VR600 “fully compatible with DSL connections, fibre/cable access and 3G/4G USB dongles”.  I had already set the router to DSL Modulation Type = “VDSL” (or VDSL2 depending which screen you are on).

To cut a rather long story short, I got connected by following the “Quick Setup” wizard, with the following options:

then enable VLAN ID and set it to 101.  Also note on this screen: even if it shows a remembered password, I found it was best to paste in the password again – I had some failures when I did not do this:

then create/adjust WiFi networks (mine were already set up and I didn’t need to change anything):

and we get:

The crucial thing here was enabling VLAN ID and setting it to 101.  I’ve no idea what that is and why it needs to be set to 101 - I found it out from this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Replaced-Plusnet-Hub-with-Modem-amp-Router/td-p/137291... (browsing in desperation on my phone over the terrible signal we have in Brecon!). To be fair it also says this on https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/ but that page wouldn’t load on my phone.

Thanks

Paul Bayley

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@paulbay wrote:

Thanks Dumbledore. It does seem to be working now...but just a couple of problems/questions.

1) the connection speeds are pretty much the same as I had on ADSL. Will these increase over the next few days? I kind of expected to start high and then decrease to a stable setting.

Paul

This worries me as it may indicate that you have been provisioned with ADSL.

You say that you are using the Hub One currently. You can check on the Hub One if you are running in ADSL or VDSL mode.

Log onto the Plusnet Hub One Router and go to the Troubleshooting Section (top right corner). Once there click on the Helpdesk tab.

Look for the line starting (the starting number maybe different now)

23. Modulation:

And then compare the code to the table below,

ADSL1	   ADSL2     ADSL2+    VDSL	 VDSL2
Standard G.992.1 G.992.3 G.992.5 G.993.1 G.993.2

If the code is for ADSL then you haven't been upgraded to FTTC yet. If it is VDSL then you have been. Let us know what it says.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
paulbay
Grafter

This is what I suspected, but I didn't want to presume! It does show G.992.5 so I am still on ADSL. Is it going to be a long wait for this to be changed?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@paulbay

Given that @Dumbledore thinks that Plusnet has done all the work, I think you need to start shouting.

Because it reads like they think it is all okay (from @Dumbledore 's post) when frankly it isn't. So Plusnet aren't going to do anything if I'm reading that post correct.

So Plusnet need to answer why when you ordered Fibre, they put you on ADSL. Then they need to state what are they going to do to fix this issue and give you a timescale. (and a refund for the wrongly provisioned service and goodwill gesture for messing up the order would be good)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
paulbay
Grafter

Thanks SpendLessTime that is what I supected all along, as it doesn't seem an uncommon problem for people switching to Fibre!

So perhaps someone from the Plusnet team could:-

a) Let me know what they are going to do to resolve this and get me onto fibre.

b) Tell me how long this will take - I assume that you will prioritise this as extra urgent.

c) Confirm that I will not be charged for the broadband service until I do start getting the fibre service as ordered.

Thanks

paulbay
Grafter

Anyone from Plusnet? Can you give me any answers as to what is happening? Please feel free to call me if needed.

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @paulbay,

I'm really sorry to read about your experience and that it hasn't been dealt with straight away.

I have created a ticket for you here

Your ticket has been marked as a complaint.

Thank you.

paulbay
Grafter

Thanks Ollie, I have seen the ticket and hopefully things will get sorted reasonably soon. As I have now switched to Plusnet (albeit only on ADSL), will my previous ISP (John Lewis) be aware and stop charging me for their service, or will they need to be contacted (either by myself or by Plusnet)?

Cheers

Paul

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @paulbay 

There should no interaction needed fro yourself going forward - everything should progress automatically. 

Thanks,

MoR

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Paul, sorry you have problems but these may not be of Plusnet's making as I understand Openreach must switch connections at the cabinet.

After four reliable years on Plusnet ADSL2 I upgraded to fibre last month. Our BB/phone package was confirmed by email with go-live date on August 23 but when this didn't happen I referred to the Openreach status page and found it was scheduled for September 3, but OR did not carry it out.

I called PN next day September 4 and the very helpful operator said he would contact OR; within two hours he emailed OR's reference no. and promise of upgrade before the end of the week. Apparently the OR technician could not make the appointment. In fact the change happened next day and my speed was instantly trebled to 36Mb.

By the way I'm not a techie and find that Hub One is perfectly satisfactory, indeed my ancient TG582 worked fine for the past two years apart from spending £80 on a fancy Billion 7800 which made no difference to speed and burned out after two years and warranty had expired, so back to the 582. Sometimes the devil you know ...

paulbay
Grafter

Longliner,

I agree that this may not all be down to Plusnet as I too believe that a switch to fibre requires an engineer visit to the cabinet. However, at the end of the day my contract is with Plusnet not Openreach (I am not even allowed to talk to Openreach as I am not their customer!), so it is Plusnet that have to sort the problem even if it is caused by their suppliers. This is not to say that I don't appreciate the efforts they appear to be making to fix the problem, but Plusnet are the only ones that can sort it for me. Having said that, part of the problem has been that I did not get any information from Plusnet on the progress (or lack of it) on my broadband order. Here's hoping that everything can get sorted reasonably quickly!

I'm sure the Hub One is fine and I'd be happy to use it, but my system is already set up with the TP-Link router (including powerline extenders), which I selected for its features and good wi-fi performance, and changing it (after just recently setting it all up) would be a bit of a pain.