cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited v. Full?

Ben1
Grafter

Unlimited v. Full?

I am slightly confused by the difference between these two products. I am currently on Unlimited Fibre; is Full Fibre a step up, or am I already receiving the best possible service?

Many thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Unlimited v. Full?

Unlimited is usage

Fibre is FTTC

Speeds up to 80/20

Full Fibre is FTTP

Speeds up to 1G download (not sure of the upload, but guessing around 200)

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

@Ben1 'Unlimited Fibre' is the top (80/20) FTTC product. Full Fibre is the term for what I still call FTTP.

If you enter your phone number in here: BT Broadband , a post the resulting output, after obscuring your phone number, we will be able to tell you if you can get the latest product - not everyone can, at the moment.

John
Chrisvesey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Just been through all the palaver after being offered to upgrade to unlimited fibre for £2 more than I am paying for fibre at the moment and the phone line will be cut off. This is not fttp which is not available....so they want me to pay more for not having a phone line (they did drop the price to match what I pay at the moment) pay more for less, I don't think so. I have 10 months of contract left which will probably coincide with the phone switch off, I don't want to leave Plusnet but I can get virgin fibre for the same price, shall have to watch carefully,

Chris

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Basically anything called 'Fibre' which is not FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) is marketing smoke and mirrors which the ISPs were allowed  to get away with by the powers that be, who IMO should have known better.  Many people have been conned in to thinking they have 'fibre' when in reality they still have Internet provided over their copper phone line.

Ben1
Grafter

Thanks all for your help.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Ben1
Grafter

Somehow, this slipped my mind, jab1. I am attaching the output of that BT page, I hope it helps.

Thanks again.

BT-Broadband.jpg

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@RobPN wrote:

Basically anything called 'Fibre' which is not FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) is marketing smoke and mirrors which the ISPs were allowed  to get away with by the powers that be, who IMO should have known better.  Many people have been conned in to thinking they have 'fibre' when in reality they still have Internet provided over their copper phone line.

If you think about it ,until we get to the stage where fibre is connected directly into the router, all connections are over copper, at some stage, either from the (E)xchange, Street (C)abinet or the (P)remises ONT. So maybe we should be calling the services FTTE, FTTC and FTTP?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Ben1 If you are on Unlimited Fibre, which caps your speeds at 40 down/10 up, then your only option is to go for Unlimited Fibre Extra , which will give you higher speeds, but would result in you losing your phone service'

Full Fibre, hich does not use any copper in the connection, is unavailable to you at present - at least over the BT network, although you may have the option via an altnet.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Baldrick1 

The small ISP B4RN already connects it's incoming fibre cable direct to their router. The internal wall ONT is passive (no power) and the router is conencted via a fibre lead.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@bmc 

So the ONT is not one, it’s a junction box and the optical network terminates in the router? 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Some interesting posts here, but I don't think they help the OP?

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Baldrick1 

Indeed - bad terminology on my part. Sorry. The "router" acts as ONT, router and WiFi access.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Baldrick1 wrote:

If you think about it ,until we get to the stage where fibre is connected directly into the router, all connections are over copper, at some stage, either from the (E)xchange, Street (C)abinet or the (P)remises ONT. So maybe we should be calling the services FTTE, FTTC and FTTP?

True @Baldrick1 if you want to take it to the extreme.  There may be nothing wrong with using those acronyms, the latter two which are already used, but just don't allow those services which clearly use copper as a final link to the customers premises be described by a catch-all term 'fibre' when in reality they may be severely degraded by miles of old copper, or even aluminium, cable, whereas services over FTTP have negligible losses.  I know I wouldn't be happy to be an uninformed punter who later discovered I'd been conned into buying a service described as fibre which turned out to be a figment of some marketing persons devious imagination.

My 2p.

Edit: typo