cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails

longshanks67
Grafter

Unable to send emails

I use an android 12 Tablet and have had intermittent problem  sending email with the occasional message telling me  that my IP  address is poor. I use webmail all the time, this does not happen on my laptop using Thunderbird as the client. I have read other emails on the same subject but those did not offer advice that I could use, Superuser comment was very informative , another solution was to turn off mobile data for a while then turn it back on this is not for me  as I don't use mobile data. I would appreciate some advice on how to cure this problem, 

I use Nord VPN .

many thanks

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Unable to send emails

Turn off the VPN on the phone - one or more of the IP's this  is routing through has a bad reputation. Why do you use a VPN?

John
longshanks67
Grafter

hi,

Not a phone and I use a VPN for better security and streaming.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

OK, sorry, I misread your initial post -  substitute tablet for phone in my reply. A VPN does not offer 'better security' - especially for a home user - and, as you have discovered, it can inhibit the proper functioning of your connection.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

@longshanks67 and I use a VPN for better security and streaming

problem is that other people use VPN's for more dubious reasons, and so the IP addresses allocated by the VPN servers get poor IP reputations.

Try disconnecting the VPN and then see if you can send email.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

longshanks67
Grafter

Thanks for the info very useful, my set up is a two router in piggy back the secondary is dd wrt with 

solely for VPN use, at the moment the tablet I use is using the VPN network I will switch back to my primary network and see if I get an improvement.

many thanks

longshanks

longshanks67
Grafter

Hello Mr.W

Again many thanks for the info and advice, I disconnected from my VPN and reconnected to my  primary account network and this email problem went away and now back to normal on my android tablet. What I do find a bit baffling is when I use my laptop which again using my VPN but with a different email manager ( Thunderbird )  this email.problem did not happen so I'm still scratching my head.

regards

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@longshanks67 are you absolutely sure your laptop is sending via the same VPN connection as the tablet ?

Try using https://whatismyipaddress.com/ on both the tablet and laptop and check that you're seeing the same public IP on both

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

longshanks67
Grafter

hi.

Yes I'm absolutely sure my laptop is using the VPN, baffling isn't it? although I mainly use my tablet to handle my emails, I do use my laptop occasionally to receive and also send the odd Emails and as previously said that works ok albeit that uses a different email client.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

albeit that uses a different email client.

Shouldnt make any difference as long as the outgoing server settings are the same , and they both use authentication with the same credentials.

A thought, Are they both set for TLS using port 587 ?

longshanks67
Grafter

Apologies this is incorrect rather than rely on my fading memory I have now done a proper check and no my tablet and my laptop have different IP addresses

regards.