cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of landlien concern?

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

Re: Loss of landlien concern?

"We would like to go full fibre, but if we do, we lose our current phone number altogether." Not if you start VoIP at the same time.

"It is my understanding whether correct or incorrect that we would then use our Smartphones for all calls." If you also went VoIP, you could continue to use your existing 'phone(s) if you wanted to (you might need to get an adapter, an "ATA").

"Our concern is that currently we use Whatsapp on our Smartphones to connect to people overseas and as we have poor mobile signal we communicate using the router and this no cost to us." That would not change.

"I am not sure where VOIP would fit in as we do not want to be paying the VOIP provider for overseas or local calls.  We do not make a lot of calls overseas, but we often send Whatsapp messages with occasional call.  We do use Whatsapp a lot for local calls." Anything you do via WhatsApp would not involve the VoIP provider; they would only charge you (their monthly charge plus) for any calls you directly made via VoIP (e. g. using your existing old 'phones).

Note VoIP providers have varying contracts, similar to mobile providers - varying from cheapest monthly charge but all calls cost per minute, to higher monthly charges but including a given number of minutes (and then cost per minute if you use up the provided minutes). BEFORE CHOOSING A NO-FREE-MINUTES OPTION, CONSIDER WHETHER YOU EVER CALL ANYONE WHERE YOU MIGHT BE ON HOLD FOR AGES - local council, utility company (including the providers themselves!), bank, pension company …

"If we are able to update everyone with Smartphone number, then do we really need VOIP" - if smartphone can work (receive calls) via your router (or you have adequate mobile signal), then no.

"I am aware that we could port and our current landline number to the VOIP and using an adaptor use our current phones.  We would probably need VOIP for several months due to medical and similar issues until everyone is aware of our Smartphone numbers." That sounds about right.

Incidentally, you don't _have_ to buy an adapter and use your current 'phones - you can get software that turns your computer into a 'phone [note - it obviously needs a microphone; a laptop usually has one, a desktop probably not]. Though this is a bit more fiddly to use than your existing 'phone, if it's only for the transitional period, it may save you the cost of the adapter (I think £30-£60) or a dedicated VoIP 'phone (I've seen those second-hand from about £15 on ebay, though expect the price to go up as more people start to look). Depending on your ISP (if you do change from PlusNet), their router may have the adapter built in anyway. (In a dog-in-the-manger way, PlusNet's hub 2 router - which is a modified BT one anyway - _does_ have the adapter built in, but it is disabled.)

Surfer
Rising Star

Thank you to all the posters on this thread and especially the last two to three posters who have put my mind at ease and we can go ahead with the VOIP.  Our current Plusnet contract expires in late June. I can renew our Plusnet contract today and opt for full fibre only and no phone which is the route we would like to take.  

However I am not sure that if we we renew today whether Plusnet would move us to full fibre when the current contract expires in June or within the next week?  We would be doing the VOIP with A&A and porting our current telephone number across.  The concern is if Plusnet move us to full fibre straight away, we may lose the number and be unable to port it.  I am unable to find this information on the Plusnet website.

Apologies for all the questions, but this only place where you seem to get the correct advice without being confused My guess is that there are many other people out there with the same predicament and uncertainty. 

Lastly if we have VOIP, would it then be possible to stream programs from another country to watch in the UK.  Also is VOIP "portable" so that we could use it will out and about in our caravan?

mystreet1
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@Surfer 

Lastly if we have VOIP, would it then be possible to stream programs from another country to watch in the UK.  Also is VOIP "portable" so that we could use it will out and about in our caravan?

VOIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol

It is not a service to allow streaming of any kind. VOIP uses existing internet connections, 'fixed' broadband, mobile phone data connection, caravan park wifi. 

VOIP is for 'telephone calls only.

Have been a member for years, but cannot find my login details and when requested a PW reset, goes round in circles, hence new account.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Surfer 

For FTTP to be installed work needs to be done at your property so depends on OR engineer availability.

FTTP will require a new contract so starts when the service is up and running. You should remain on your old one until then (assuming the install is before the end of June).

You should not port your number until FTTP is installed and running as to do so beforehand might lead to account closure and your FTTP install being cancelled (it's the way PN systems work). You have 30 days to port but it should be done on the day (or day after your FTTP service is running).

Never heard of streaming from another country via a phone service so don't know. VOIP is only portable if you use an app to access it. You would still need access to WiFi.

Brian

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

"We would be doing the VOIP with A&A" (give voipfone at least a look!) "and porting our current telephone number across.  The concern is if Plusnet move us to full fibre straight away, we may lose the number and be unable to port it.  I am unable to find this information on the Plusnet website."

Information about number porting seems to be pretty minimal! My _understanding_ is that if you do it with the same company (and I really don't understand why PlusNet aren't offering VoIP - my only _guess_ is that BT are trying to kill off PN!), or between companies but within a fairly short time (30 days?), the transfer of number is fairly seamless; if the interval is longer, it _should_ still be fairly easy to get the number, as long as nobody else has applied for or been allocated it in the meantime. Almost certainly something that whoever you're going with for VoIP should be able to clarify. (Don't give them all the details of what you're doing with PlusNet, like FTTx or whatever; all they need to know is you're stopping POTS with PlusNet, and when.)

"Lastly if we have VOIP, would it then be possible to stream programs from another country to watch in the UK."

I don't think VoIP has anything at all to do with streaming. I can't see having it giving you such access if you don't already. Are you perhaps confusing it with another set of initials starting with the same letter - VPN, virtual private network, or similar?

"Also is VOIP "portable" so that we could use it will out and about in our caravan?" I _think_ so; I think you can use it anywhere you can get internet. Of course, if you wanted to use the existing 'phones with it, you'd need to take the ATA with you, and have somewhere to plug it into, so that's fine if your caravan has a router - if it's all via mobile there, that might be different. I'm not a smartphone user, but I think you can get an "app" that makes VoIP available on a smartphone provided it can access the internet, so if your smartphones can access the internet at the caravan (or anywhere with public wifi), I think that should be possible. Hopefully someone who is a smartphone user _and_ has VoIP can clarify.

Surfer
Rising Star

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I thought having a fibre connection meant you had full fibre.  I was not aware that there was a difference between fibre and full fibre? 

Regarding VOIP, I confused myself, but I am getting a better understanding of it.  If we take the Plusnet fibre 64 - 72Mb estimated download speed package with no phone line, there doesn't seem to be any need for us to use VOIP if we update friends etc with smartphone numbers even if they do not have a mobile phone.  We do not get to keep our old number and our current phones become redundant?

If renewing and opting for the fibre package, I still cannot find any information when we would switch to "fibre only" and lose the phone number, but I have not gone right through the order process to payment.

mystreet1
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Other option is to renew your current package (12 months), then swap to fibre, via the phone line or new FTTP connection.

That way you will keep your existing landline number and have 12 months to inform everyone of your new contact number, your existing mobiles.

Have been a member for years, but cannot find my login details and when requested a PW reset, goes round in circles, hence new account.
bmc
Hero

@Surfer 

It appears this has not been asked before. Use the following and post a screen image of the results for interpretation.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

Edit : Don't forget to hide your personal details

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 415

but I think you can get an "app" that makes VoIP available on a smartphone provided it can access the internet, so if your smartphones can access the internet at the caravan (or anywhere with public wifi), I think that should be possible. Hopefully someone who is a smartphone user _and_ has VoIP can clarify.

That is absolutely correct, I regularly use an app called zoiper https://www.zoiper.com/ to connect to my voip account if I'm away from home.

(and I really don't understand why PlusNet aren't offering VoIP - my only _guess_ is that BT are trying to kill off PN!)

PN have decided that a large percentage of users don't want a phone service. To provide a voip service requires significant infrastructure and support investment. PN have therefore assessed that its cost effective to offer a broadband only product.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Surfer
Rising Star

Thanks BMC.  Hopefully someone who has a better understanding that myself can give a simple clarification?   It states the following for our number;

FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.

bmc
Hero

@Surfer 

Thanks for that though I was actually looking for the "window" not the narrative. No matter, first thing is FTTP is not available so any upgrade would be to WBC VDSL (FTTC).

Look again at the results. Against WBC VDSL should be two sets of figures - for a good line and an impacted line. What are the figures shown - you get potential download speeds and an upload speed estimated.

Brian

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I thought having a fibre connection meant you had full fibre.  I was not aware that there was a difference between fibre and full fibre?

PlusNet and other providers haven't helped here. Sometimes you have a service with "fibre" in the name of the service (I think anything above about speed 20), but what comes into your home is still a pair of copper wires.

More precise - but less used - are the terms FTTC and FTTP - fibre to the cabinet and premises respectively. If you have the latter, you'll have a fibre connection directly into your home, which you'll know about. (The "cabinet" in question is a roadside box somewhere between you and your local telephone exchange; making the connection to that fibre can give you a higher speed even if the last bit is still copper, as long as it's short.)

You can only have old-fashioned POTS if the last lap is still metal - not least because you can't pass power over fibre, and the 'phone needs power to ring! So if you've still got 'phones that ring, you haven't got FTTP (unless you've got two lines).

Surfer
Rising Star

BMC;

ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7 -- 4.5 to 11.5 Available --
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 7 Up to 1 4.5 to 11.5 Available --
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4 to 8 Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --
bmc
Hero

@Surfer 

Thanks. For sone odd reason I got it into my head you were speaking about an upgrade but this is clearly not the case. You're on ADSL and can only get "up to 7" down on a good day.

So, back to basics.

You can renew as you are with landline if you phone PN. If you phone the COTS number you can also speak about options for your line. There is an internet only product for ADSL called SOADSL but I'm not certain how this works. This buys you time to think about things.

Your WhatsApp usage has no bearing on VOIP and would continue as normal.

If or when you go down the VOIP route you can get the necessary equipment to continue using your current phone or get one of the apps to run it via your Smart phone. VOIP works with as little as 0.5 down but given your overall speed there may be problems if you're using the internet at the same time.

The A&A option of saving all incoming messsages to an answer machine and then e-mailing a transcription could be worth a look.

Smart phones usually have the option of WiFi calling (you still pay outgoing charges) if your provider allows this. Might help with your mobile signal problems.

Finally you said you're on a PAYG mobile contract (if I remember correctly). If looking at getting a package try GiffGaff (there are many others out there). Don't know if they do WiFI calling but tend to be good value.

Brian

Surfer
Rising Star

Thanks BMC I am on a rolling one month contract with unlimited data.  it seems that for us the way to go and save a few bob is to go Fibre only when we renew in June and dump the land line.  Maybe at a much later date when we do have full fibre consider the VOIP.