cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information needed about an old web site hosted by you.

FIXED
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Information needed about an old web site hosted by you.

I am in need of some missing information restored to my memory from a long time ago.

Way back in time on an old legacy package I was allowed to set up a website on your servers. At the time I used it to test out websites for some friends before deploying them to their own web services and it worked very well.

However I have not used it (other than as a email forwarding platform) for quite some time.
I was still able to log in via FTP to the site and the last time the files were updated was in 2012 (I really have been with Force9/Plusnet a l.o.n.g time lol).

So Questions;
Can I still use this facility (It seems to be a free bonus now)?

How much space is there on the server for files etc?
(the Plusnet front end says 250 Mb same as the business package but home users have none)

Can things like PHP,  MySQL and Wordpress be deployed on it?

There used to be restrictions on the amount of data transferred per day I think, does that still apply?

Will Plusnet keep this facility running in the near future or is this an unviable project that will be closed down?

So why ask so much, I’m playing around with a L.A.M.P and Wordpress server on a Raspberry Pi 3 on my local network. If it works out I would like to redeploy this to my web server so family and friends can get access to it.

That’s it, thanks for any help, P.

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Re: Information needed about an old web site hosted by you.

Fix

Hey Pendragon,

Can I still use this facility (It seems to be a free bonus now)?

If you've got an account with webspace component on (and it looks like you do) then yep. We're just not offering webspace to new customers and I don't believe we have done in some time/years actually.

How much space is there on the server for files etc?

There used to be restrictions on the amount of data transferred per day I think, does that still apply?

It depends on the account. Generally you'd have one of the following webspace components:

• Generic 25/100 Webspace
  • Generic 50/150 Webspace
  • Generic 100/100 Webspace
  • Generic 250/250 Webspace
  • Generic 500/500 Webspace

The first number relates to the webspace allowance, and the second number relates to the bandwidth allowance in MB.

In your case you've got the 250/250 one. I'd also add that it doesn't look like we can move you to a higher one.

Can things like PHP,  MySQL and Wordpress be deployed on it?

I've got in touch with our network engineers who look after the webspace side of things and I'm afraid the answer is no.

Will Plusnet keep this facility running in the near future or is this an unviable project that will be closed down?

Unfortunately I can't provide a definitive answer on our plans regarding this, however given that we only offer basic webspace at a maximum storage of 500MB and it's not available to new customers in the past few (or more) years, it may be worth looking at a dedicated webspace provider if you're looking into doing anything advanced.

Sorry that this likely isn't the ideal answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Sorry been a bit busy all day and didn’t get the reply until this evening.

Thanks for the info, looks like it’s a no go for Wordpress then, never mind cant have everything for free these days LOL. I will still keep it for email forwarding as the url is useful for using on gaming sites where I don’t always want to use my day to day emails

Thanks for the help, regards P.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hey. No problem, let us know if you have any further queries or if we can help with anything else. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet