cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full fibre - what happens if engineer can't put it where we want it?

dltool
Dabbler

Full fibre - what happens if engineer can't put it where we want it?

We live in an unusual 1700s house with extremely thick walls and stone floors on the ground floor.

We want to get FTTP full fibre but I'm worried about signing up for a 2 year contract, booking the engineer visit and having them say they can't put it where we want it to go. 

We've recently paid for the master socket to be moved to where we'd want the fibre to enter. It was on our bedroom windowsill (also on the back of the house) and we got it moved to the living room immediately below. That engineer wasn't very happy to do it as they couldn't take their ladders through the house to the back (we don't have access except through the house). The line currently comes across the road, around our neighbour's house, goes along their guttering then ours, then down into a jointing box and into the living room. Total distance is around 20-30 metres before it comes into the house.

I've attached a diagram showing the current route in yellow. Where our house looks onto the pavement is our kitchen, with kitchen units all down that wall as that's where the plumbing is. The rest of the road side section is a super thick wall with no electrical sockets to power the line. 

Is what we want even possible? And what happens if I sign up then they can't do it, or can only put it somewhere really impractical?

20 REPLIES 20
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Full fibre - what happens if engineer can't put it where we want it?

@dltool There is no reason why the FF cable cannot follow exactly the route of your current cable.

John
mystreet1
Dabbler

Take it that you have already spoken with your neighbour? 

If they don't allow OR to attach a cable to their house, then where you want it is a non starter.

If they do agree, I cannot see any issue with the route. Only The OR engineer! 

Have been a member for years, but cannot find my login details and when requested a PW reset, goes round in circles, hence new account.
jab1
Legend

@mystreet1 There is already a copper cable there, so I don't see a problem.

John
mystreet1
Dabbler

@jab1 understand about the existing cable, but that may have been there way before the existing neighbours. It is their property and OR must get their consent to affix something to it.

Have been a member for years, but cannot find my login details and when requested a PW reset, goes round in circles, hence new account.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

There shouldnt be a problem, but Openreach are going to want formal agreement from the neighbours.

@dltool what does the BT wholesale checker say in the narrative below the availability results regarding possible issues ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@mystreet1 Don't want to argue, but if you read the topic from the start, the existing cable has recently been re-routed, presumably with the neighbours agreement.

John
dltool
Dabbler

Thank you, we're on good terms with our neighbours and they're fine with giving access as long as the engineer is careful and respectful.

dltool
Dabbler

@MisterW The first line underneath all the data says "Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed alternate L2C solution required." WBC FTTP says 1 stage.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@dltool i believe that translates as

"The fibre optic cable is coming in overhead, but the engineers cannot safely use the Tetra ladder system (where it's anchored into a wall to provide safety). Therefore another option needs to be devised."

Probably means they would do a survey before committing to an install

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mystreet1
Dabbler

@dltool do your neighbours want FTTP?

Might be easier to get OR to install two lines at the same time, and get you a referrer bonus from PN 😁

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@dltool 

I think you'll need to bite the bullet and just order Full Fibre - then wait and see what happens.

Sounds like OR will either do a pre survey to figure out what to do or the engineer on the day will take a decision. Either way, you'll need to be present.

Brian

dltool
Dabbler

@mystreet1 haha good idea!

mystreet1
Dabbler

@dltool 

"The fibre optic cable is coming in overhead, but the engineers cannot safely use the Tetra ladder system (where it's anchored into a wall to provide safety). Therefore another option needs to be devised."

Offer to 'foot the ladder'/bag of sand on the bottom rung.

Or run the cable in yourself, will do a better job as it is your/your neighbours property.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@dltool 

Is there actually a gap between your house and neighbour2 as shown in your diagram?

If so, that might be an alternative cable route.