Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS servers offline?

FIXED
jwsg
Rising Star

Re: No broadband

When the service suddenly stopped anyone looking for help might first check social media - were there any PN posts there? - or the PN forum where there is 'Service Information' - but no posts in a year-  or maybe 'Broadband' or perhaps 'Full Fibre' if people urgently seeking info are sure about their connection type - but who would look inside 'Everything Else'? When using a phone screen as backup it's even harder to navigate. One place that did seem to capture the severity of the incident was Downdetector. There are two DNS IPs but even if only one surely it could be made resistant to being a single point of failure. Another issue https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Unable-to-access-Plusnet-website/td-p/1935635 is also found here but that still remains unresolved.

djh22
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I tried the Forum but it just said "we're a bit busy try later when things have calmed down". So I tried phoning them but thy were closed but there was a message saying to send a text headed help and they will get back, whichnthy did this morning asking for my landline number which I no longer have.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@djh22 

Is your mobile number registered against your Plusnet account in the Member Centre contact details?

I don't know if it still works as it's an old link but you could also try: https://faults.plus.net

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

djh22
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks Baldrick, 1- yes my mobile number is registered on my main Pn account and the Forum profile.

2- That fault link does still work, not sure if it would have last night though. 

Cheers.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

First find the IP address of the DNS server.

Windoze - ipconfig/all

A lot of home 'routers' will act as the DNS server to the LAN  in their simplest (default) setup. The Hub2 does. Thus the local end device (when obtaining settings via DHCP) will find that its DNS server is e.g. 192.168.1.254

And it may also be acting as a DNS cache?

Not a problem I currently have, but something that has bitten me in the past.