cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add more spoofing protection to hosted domain (DKIM, DMARC)

JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Add more spoofing protection to hosted domain (DKIM, DMARC)

Hi,

I have an SPF record on my hosted domain already but can I get DKIM and/or DMARC added too?

Assume I don't know anything more about this, so the more help the better! 😉

SPF is:

v=spf1 a mx include:_spf-internal.plus.net include:_spf-internal2.plus.net ~all

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 406

Re: Add more spoofing protection to hosted domain (DKIM, DMARC)

but can I get DKIM and/or DMARC added too?

@JakTheBiscuit in a word, No!.

Its not possible to add the required DNS records for either DKIM or DMARC on a Plusnet hosted domain.

If you require DKIM and DMARC then I suggest you consider moving the domain hosting. If you only use the domain for email then I suggest looking at Mythic beasts https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting . Their email only package provides very similar facilities to the Plusnet email but can provide SPF, DKIM and  DMARC. It only costs £20/yr if paid annually , plus £7.20/yr domain registration.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for the info.  What do I need from Plusnet in order to transfer my domain?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 406

@JakTheBiscuit assuming its a .uk domain, then you need the IPSTAG changing to that of your chosen new registrar.

If its not a .uk then you need an EPP code.

Either way, if you post a request on here then a staff member should pick it up and raise a 'ticket' for you to securely reply with the details.

Normally, to avoid any donwtime, the transfer process is to change the DNS records on the current nameservers and then when the TTL has elapsed , switch nameservers . See the excellent transfer guide here https://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/domains/transfer-no-downtime ( note its not Mythic exclusive, the mechanism applies to any hosting )

However, its not possible to change the DNS records on the PLusnet control panel, you need to transfer the registration first and then switch nameservers and accept that there will be a period of transition, where mail could go to either old or new hosting.

Don't forget that, if use use IMAP to access your email, then you need to transfer existing emails from PLusnet to the new hosting!.

I used Imapsync to transfer mine https://imapsync.lamiral.info/ . There's a free online version but I actually installed it on a Linux system.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.