Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP

machare
Rising Star

Re: SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP

@spraxyt
Thanks for your help.  I don't see any other complaints so the server is clearly working.  I will just wait a few days.  My Vodafone phone also can't make contact. In the meatime I will use Gmail for outgoing mail.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: machare
Santa did pay me a visit almost a year ago which is why I have used this thread.

Ah, I see! Wink
Replicated from a Vodafone 4G connection (which then worked when connected to PN wi-fi). I shall do some digging. Thanks for reporting.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

machare
Rising Star

Thank you.  It does appear that the problem occurs with the regular relay.plus.net server  so I suppose that I will have to concede that it really is a connectivity issue rather than an SSL issue.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It does appear that the problem occurs with the regular relay.plus.net server...

That's working fine for me, and we'd be inundated if it was broken. Are you sure you don't have a hosts entry or similar mapping the server address to the broken IP?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

machare
Rising Star

For me, ping and traceroute to both the regular and the SSL relay.plus.net fail. 
I can send mail via the regular server but not via the SSL server. Is there any reason why my account might no longer be accepted by the SSL server?
I can send via the Gmail servers using SSL.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can send mail via the regular server but not via the SSL server. Is there any reason why my account might no longer be accepted by the SSL server?

External access to the test server is broken at present. That's what I've asked to be looked into.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

machare
Rising Star

Thank you.  Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob

External access to the test server is broken at present. That's what I've asked to be looked into.

Should be fixed now Cool

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

machare
Rising Star

Works for me!  Thank you Smiley
rockyhorror
Grafter

Hello All,
After seeing this thread slide down the forum, my hopes were initially raised to see it back up there! My hopes were dashed by a gratuitous hijack of this thread.
Bob, please give us some kind of idea what is happening here - months are rolling by.
Thank you in advance,
Richard
Edit - this thread was started a year ago!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Hi Tony,
We recognise that SSL/TLS is something customers want us to implement. As I think has been mentioned before though, the work isn't as trivial as some may think and it needs prioritising alongside other deliverables.
The Community will be some of the first to know once we've something to share...

Quote from: jelv
From that I think we can safely take it that we won't see it for at least a year.

Ye of little faith Wink

Roll_eyes
I'd call it being realistic!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The thread wasn't hijacked (entirely: it was relevant to SSL). I'll share news as I have it and am still pushing for movement. Frustrating thing is, most of the hard work's been done Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

rockyhorror
Grafter

Hello All,
This has nothing to do with this issue, but to quote The Register: 'security shy teleco': http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/25/plusnet_still_delivering_passwords_plaintext/
Come on, surely we can have some more movement on this SSL  issue?
Richard
MelRocks
Grafter

Hi Richard,
As you have correctly stated what you are posting has no bearing on this thread so please refrain in future.
However, Plusnet goes to great lengths to ensure we protect and secure our customer data. Passwords are encrypted in our database. We do not show customers their passwords in an email in plain text and anyone who has forgotten their password must go through a combination of security mechanisms to regain access.
Thank you.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The problem is Mel that the link you send (which displays the username and password) is sent as plain text in a totally insecure email. So is as good as sending the username and password in the email!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)