cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP

plongeur

Re: SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP

Hi
I would like to keep this post alive as I have been asking for secure plusnet email for the last couple of years. Plusnet have obviously done some tests on their email servers, how about doing a trial with a small group of external testers. I can try it out on windows 10, windows 8.1, android 5 and ubunto linux. I am sure there is a growing fraternity of mobile users who would really welcome this facility.
Thanks
WuzzoUK

Agreed - this needs to be sorted pronto.  The MS Outlook apps for iPhone and Android (but not bizarrely Windows Phone) no longer work unless the provider has a valid SSL certificate and there is no "use/don't use SSL" option since the app was re-launched.  Perhaps because it's not Microsoft's app but just a rebranded third party 
neilhobbs
Rising Star

Hi.
I am new to the forum today and the reason for coming here was that I am trying to configure the Microsoft Outlook app on iOS and it needing for the Force 9 IMAP server to have TLS enabled on it.  The website - www.checktls.com says there isn't a certificate.  I have configured all of my other e-mail accounts within it.  Not the Force 9 account, which is my main e-mail.
Are there any plans to make this available?  Or can I not have my Force 9 mail in this app and therefore not use it?
I have been with Force 9 since the 90's...
Just to add TLS is not SSL - it is its replacement;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

TLS and SSL3 are identical, I think the new name only came about because of potential copyright issues.
The present position with regard to Plusnet implementation of TLS is set out in reply #81 above. Hopefully there will be news of progress beyond that soon.
David
neilhobbs
Rising Star

SSL3 and TLS are similar...  not identical...
However, I digress - as per the update in reply #81...  What are the time scales for pushing the updates to the live system?
Why is Plusnet years behind everyone else?
chrcoluk
Grafter

SSlv3 and TLSv1 share the same ciphers, however the 2 protocols are not exactly the same.   So e.g. the advice to disable SSLv3, doesnt mean also disable TLSv1.
neilhobbs
Rising Star

I have just heard back from Microsoft regarding if it is possible to disable the requirement for a TLS certificate - the app doesn't have such a feature.  They're application requires a TLS certificate to function.
Therefore I am unable to use this app as Plusnet doesn't have a TLS certificate in place.
I understand that you are in the middle of doing this, but this is very, very slow.  With this in mind, can I ask for a reasonable estimate of when you expect for this to be in place and available for testing?  I am happy to join a pilot group of users for testing.
I am a Solutions Architect for a global IT consultancy, so I understand what the scale of work involved here, how long this may take and what being a pilot user is.  I can see from the above, there doesn't appear to have been any visible progress on the work since July 2015.  It is October in a couple of days.
Many thanks in advance,
Neil
chrcoluk
Grafter

To be blunt you should stop using plusnet as a email provider, at best the email is a value addon, and as such plusnet probably dont give it much focus.  I am not singling out plusnet here, the same goes for any broadband isp, dont use their email services.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: neilhobbs
I have just heard back from Microsoft regarding if it is possible to disable the requirement for a TLS certificate - the app doesn't have such a feature.  They're application requires a TLS certificate to function.
Therefore I am unable to use this app as Plusnet doesn't have a TLS certificate in place.

This is an interesting development, and may help put some weight behind the config changes we need to make before closed customer trialling can commence. I'm afraid I can't offer any definitive timescales though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

neilhobbs
Rising Star

Hi Bob,
Thank you for the update on this.  I completely understand that you're unable to give the time table for implementation and testing.  But if I asked for a 'finger in the air' idea - would that be 3 months, 6 months?
Many thanks in advance
Neil
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Neil,
Looking at the history of this, I suspect that this is not a technical issue, but a fiscal / priority issue.  About a year ago it was last suggested that the facility might be in place for Christmas 2014.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

Hi Kevin,
Yeah I would agree...  By the time you factor in the cost of the certificate(s), the design, the politics, the financial elements, the labour, the internal testing and the issues - it won't be an over night thing...
Neil
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: neilhobbs
I am new to the forum today and the reason for coming here was that I am trying to configure the Microsoft Outlook app on iOS and it needing for the Force 9 IMAP server to have TLS enabled on it.

Hi Neil,
Is there a 'Show Advanced Settings' option? This page suggests there should be and appears to show that the SSL requirement can be disabled:

(Note: Change the port number to 143 if the SSL toggle doesn't do this automatically)
Of course, the page may well be out-of-date but I thought I'd mention it just in case. I must say it seems a strange move for an app to dictate what security mechanisms are mandatory for services they do not control and, moreover, prevent users from altering that behaviour if they understand/accept the risks.
Mathew
neilhobbs
Rising Star

Hi Mathew,
Thanks for the URL.  I'm afraid that the app has been developed since then and my conversation with Microsoft took place this week...
Have a great weekend!
Neil
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Ah that's a shame. Time to choose another app or e-mail provider (personally I'd suggest both!).