Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders Missing

JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Folders Missing

Is anything happening about this? You can't just delete all my necessary private information. I need my emails back. PLEASE!

Robeets5
Hooked

Thank you @Gandalf . Most helpful.

JamesE
Rising Star

Well, in my case, nobody has been helpful whatsoever. However, I don't know how I've done this but in order to stop a future disaster I've organised an email client on my PC (windows Mail at the moment). I found that when looking at IMAP  folders my personal folders were there but when clicked on "visible" were not. I double clicked a folder, clicked "go to", nothing happens and then clicked "reset list". Next time I visited PN web mail the folder had reappeared. I've now done the same for all of them. I've also deleted a lot of emails. If they were removed because I had too many then Plusnet might have had the decency to tell me before just removing all my folders. I shall remember this when it comes to contract renewal time.

JamesE
Rising Star

Could someone please advise me how to monitor the size of my email storage. As Plusnet do not have the decency to tell me that they are clearing my storage I shall have to keep an eye on it in future.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @JamesE, I am sorry to hear that your folders have gone missing.

If your storage was too high, we would send of number of notifications advising of this before then archiving the mail. There is nothing showing on our side to suggest that we have deleted your mail, nor archived it so I'm not sure what's caused this to be honest.

I've raised this to our Networks Team to look at to see if there is anything we can do our side for you. I'll get back to you once I have an update.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
JamesE
Rising Star

Thanks for a reply at last! As noted in the post above by using some strange method by an email client I got them back. I've also reduced storage by a considerable amount. It was indeed, very, very worrying when they disappeared I would have been up the proverbial without paddle. Now that I've got Thunderbird up and running then I've now got my own storage that you can't delete! If you didn't do it on purpose because I had too much storage (and I should certainly trust that if you had this in mind you would have notified me to do some deleting of my own) and I certainly didn't do it then I should certainly like to know what your engineers find.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

IMAP folders display only if they have been subscribed to in the client program. It looks like some glitch might have removed subscriptions making it appear the folders were no longer present. Resetting these has restored folder display.

It is possible to get folder sizes from Webmail. However doing this with Thunderbird is easier. In the folder list pane click the columns selector at the top and tick the Size selector. That will add a Size column in that pane as shown in the screenshot.

TBirdFolderSize.png

David
JamesE
Rising Star

Sorry @spraxyt, that wasn't how it went. I've never ever used an email client before. The folders disappeared before that. Although I'm now using Thunderbird, I got them back after downloading Windows Live Mail and messing about with that. It showed the folders, but not on the "visible" tab. By double clicking them which put a folder icon by them and the clicking "reset list" they wonderfully re-appeared after re-logging in to PM webmail. I did a few one at a time and then did the remainder all in one go. I've now removed Live Mail now that I've got Thunderbird to work properly. I had a problem to start with in that it wouldn't put sent mail in the sent folder. I can give details of the solution if anyone wants it.

I must be a bit dim this morning - can you be a bit more specific as to how to get this size indicator - I just can't find what to do to get it.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for clarifying @JamesE. Webmail also requires folders to be subscribed to for them to show in the folder pane. 

Earlier this year there were a few unexplained instances where folders became unsubscribed in Webmail. Post https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Email-display/m-p/1504244#M22072 describes and illustrates how to get them back.

David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

@JamesE wrote:

.... - can you be a bit more specific as to how to get this size indicator - I just can't find what to do to get it.

That illustration shows the top left-hand corner of my Thunderbird window the contents of the selected folder listed in the right-hand pane and the folder list on the left. The account name is also shown alongside the mailbox symbol but I obscured that for privacy.

Are you running Thunderbird on Windows 10? It doesn't matter if it's 32- or 64-bit. I don't know if the option I illustrated is available in versions for other OSes. It used to be part of an add-on but is now part of the core product. Does the icon I encircled in red not appear for you?

David
JamesE
Rising Star

@spraxyt wrote:

Thanks for clarifying @JamesE. Webmail also requires folders to be subscribed to for them to show in the folder pane. 

Earlier this year there were a few unexplained instances where folders became unsubscribed in Webmail. Post https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Email-display/m-p/1504244#M22072 describes and illustrates how to get them back.

Hey! that is interesting. I must admit that I never thought of that. It could well explain all except for how did they get unticked in the first place. Is there some accidental key stroke that could have caused it? I (occasionally) and swmbo (regularly) will press Ctrl instead of Shift with often highly unintended results!

JamesE
Rising Star

@spraxyt wrote:

@JamesE wrote:

.... - can you be a bit more specific as to how to get this size indicator - I just can't find what to do to get it.

That illustration shows the top left-hand corner of my Thunderbird window the contents of the selected folder listed in the right-hand pane and the folder list on the left. The account name is also shown alongside the mailbox symbol but I obscured that for privacy.

Are you running Thunderbird on Windows 10? It doesn't matter if it's 32- or 64-bit. I don't know if the option I illustrated is available in versions for other OSes. It used to be part of an add-on but is now part of the core product. Does the icon I encircled in red not appear for you?

I'm running Windows 7 64 Pro. No, I don't see the icon nor the text "size". The first thing after my name is the squiggly thing about threads.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Windows 7 should be OK. Sorry, I forgot that the option needs to be enabled. Sad

This is done by going to View -> Layout  and selecting Folder Pane Columns. The text "Size" appears in my screenshot because I have that column option selected.

David
JamesE
Rising Star

Ah ha! Thanks David, got it.

Jim.

Is there a comprehensive "instruction book" as it were, anywhere?

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@JamesE wrote:

Is there a comprehensive "instruction book" as it were, anywhere?

I don't know of one, and if there were it would probably quickly become out of date. Documentation tends to lag development at best,especially for free products.

Product (user) related forums tend to be the best source of information for capabilities and a descriptive search using your favourite search engine can point to relevant articles. The moral seems to be if you are seeking a particular option there's a good chance that others have too; and someone might have provided a solution.

David