Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders Missing

Robeets5
Hooked

Folders Missing

This concerns my wife's plusnet email:

This morning she logged on and discovered all her email folders had vanished. The default ones are still there but the rest have all vanished. She has checked the webmail, Thunderbird on her Surface pro and Ipad and all folders have gone.

To happen across all formats leaves me to believe this has to be a Plusnet issue - possible a server issue?

I have already checked they haven't moved or been hidden - it seems all emails prior to last Thursday have vanished.

Anyone else experienced something similar - if so what happened and why did it happen?

30 REPLIES 30
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Re: Folders Missing

From what I can see we've archived the mail as per this ticket due to the size of the mailbox.

I've requested the mail be dropped back down, which should happen today but I'll let you know if it's any longer.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Robeets5
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf

I'll let my wife know and get her to go below 1GB.

We've never seen the ticket before or even knew it was sent. Good job you were here to help!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries. From what I can see we've been sending reminders via email regarding the size of the mailbox.

The mail should be unarchived within the next 30 minutes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Robeets5
Hooked

Hi Gandalf

Sorry to come back to you. During cleaning up the entire inbox folder deleted  (NOT SUB FOLDER) - I definitely didn't select that as it was still full of current items and VITAL items. Unfortunately I emptied the deleted items before realising this had happened.

Can this be restored to how it was so it can be worked through and organised. I guess how it stood at about 7pm on 08/10/2018 if possible? Or indeed anything that was deleted directly out of the INBOX today to be restored?

Regards

Robeets5
Hooked

There should a months worth of emails...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there. No worries. I've raised a task with our infrastructure engineers to see if we have any backups or snapshots of your mail we can restore. Will let you know when we hear back.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for waiting.

We're struggling to find the right emails to drop back down, as from what we can see there are more emails in your mailbox than what we have stored as "snapsnots" on our systems, and the mail we've unarchived yesterday are still present in your mailbox.

So we've restored the snapshot from before we restored the archive to try to fill in any gaps.

Can you let us know how your mailbox looks now?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Robeets5
Hooked

Hi @Gandalf

That looks like how we found it yesterday with the enforced archiving from last Thursday. The messages we are after are the ones before this dating back to the 1st September. 

Thank you for your help on this. Very much appreciated.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems.

I've checked with one of my colleagues in our infrastructure team and unfortunately we don't hold snapshots of your mail that far back.

We've essentially restored all that we have.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Robeets5
Hooked

Thank you @Gandalf and team.

Robeets5
Hooked

@Gandalf

Just one further thought - what about the other sub folders - just wondering if they the old inbox stuff got moved into there?

JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

HELP! All my folders have gone also. They were all there yesterday, I don't remember whether they were there this morning. What on earth have you done? Please get them back - this is a disaster.

I've checked my wife's - she's still got her personal folders but she doesn't have as many as I have.

HELP PLEASE - I cannot cope without my emails put into folders.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Robeets5, unfortunately it's unlikely as I suspect we've checked the mailbox overall but I've asked our engineers and will post back when I know more. 

@JamesE, from what I can see we haven't archived your mail. Are you checking webmail or a mail client? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Your Webmail. Are you telling me that you can't get them back? This is a disaster. What have you done? I need them.