cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email issue

JBL
Hooked

Email issue

When using Apple Mail I am unable to send emails from my plus address using mobile data - I Sending them when wifi is on no problem. Any I try to send are sent to my outbox until wi-fi back on. Plus net staff have been very helpful but still stuck with the problem. (Emails sent via other clients (eg Yahoo) go fine so must be an apple mail problem but whaT?

25 REPLIES 25
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Email issue

If you have your PN mail as an account on Apple Mail, it will not send on mobile data, or any non-Plusnet connection unless it is authenticated. You need to set that up whilst on your home connection. Do you use a desktop/laptop at home, and what email program do you use?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

You need to ensure that your outgoing server settings ( relay.plus.net) are set use use authentication with your plusnet accountname and password.

To explain, why you are on wifi,  you're connecting from a Plusnet IP address and so authentication is not needed (but can be used). When on mobile data its not a PLsunet IP address and so you MUST authenticate with the server.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW wrote:

To explain, why you are on wifi,  you're connecting from a Plusnet IP address and so authentication is not needed (but can be used). When on mobile data its not a PLsunet IP address and so you MUST authenticate with the server.

The same applies if you are using Wi-Fi provided by an ISP other than Plusnet, for instance in a coffee shop, or at a friends house where they are e.g. Virgin customers.

John
JBL
Hooked

I use Apple Mail. I have located settings inMail on my iMac desktop but not sure how to authenticate as you recommend! 

]

jab1
Legend

That - you having an iMac - is a slight problem, as I have zero knowledge of those machines. I wonder if  @MisterW  has any ideas?

John
jab1
Legend

@JBL Does this information - obtained by Googling - help? https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mail/mlhlp1106/mac

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

as I have zero knowledge of those machines

Likewise I'm afraid.

Mail client usually have options in the outgoing server settings like ' use authentication for this server' , selecting that allows you to input a username & password. Thes should be set to your Plusnet accountname and the password you use to login to the member centre. There will likely be other settings for encryption etc and we probably need someone with more familiarity of Apple mail

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

No problem, @MisterW - By using a little common sense, with the assistance of a search engine, I think I may have pointed the OP to the required information. 😉

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Email

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@JBL if you've still got problems , does your email settings look anything like this example https://support.rebel.com/hc/en-us/articles/10211536544411-How-to-update-the-email-server-settings-o...

NB your host name will of course be relay.plus.net

JBL
Hooked

Many thanks. Settings are all OK. gather I need to authenticate with the server. That;s where I am stuck!

jab1
Legend

@JBL Have you clicked the link in post #7 - that is the official Apple instructions?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

gather I need to authenticate with the server. That;s where I am stuck!

@JBL follow @jab1 s post , to authenticate you need to fill in the outgoing server username & password fields with your PLusnet accountname & password

JBL
Hooked

Thanks for this. I have already done this but the problem remains. When on mobile data, I cannot send emails successfully.successfully,   Message says 'Cannot send email - The server rejected one of the of the repents addresses. Message in the Outbox"

Once I go back to wi-fi - hey presto, the message gets delivered!

If I send ab email using my gmail address when offline, no problem!