Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Care4free / Madasafish email issue

beckybarnard
Hooked

Care4free / Madasafish email issue

Hi,

First time posting, I've looked at other threads but haven't found an answer and I've tried calling but there's no email help option, so I am hoping someone here can help please.

I have a care4free email, which was taken over by madasafish. I set up a domain with 3 email addresses with madasafish, which then moved to plusnet. I used to be able to access the account through madasafish and alter the passwords, settings etc but now when I try it says the password is incorrect.

One of the email addresses has been hacked and I would like to change the password or even just delete it but I cannot access the account to do so. (The reset password button doesn't work on madasafish.)

Can anyone advise what I should do?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Care4free / Madasafish email issue

Hello Becky,

A warm welcome to the forums.  This IS an issues which the support desk SHOULD resolve.  Try calling again; if you get an agent who does not think it is their job, as them to look in "Albert".  If that draws no joy ask to speak with the shift supervisor.

In the meantime, here is my generic help for your situation ... though if you cannot access the mailbox whose password you want to reset ... you are back to the support desk.

Reset email password

If you are not able to login to the email address using webmail, then it is likely that your email address has been identified as being compromised and has had its password changed. Where email address passwords have been changed to protect the integrity of the service, the Plusnet account password is left unchanged.

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

Plusnet / Force9 / FreeOnline users can only change the password on the DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the user ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

Brightview users (Madasafish / FreeNetName / GlobalNet / IC24 / ICScotland / Dialstart / Totalise) logging into webmail should use their full email address. Use the MAAF user portal to update the password on the default email address (change the account password) and use this MAAF guide to change the password on a secondary mailbox address. If you cannot recall the account password, you will need to contact support ... because the account password change process sends an email to the mailbox you cannot now access.

DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for that would allow the continued exploitation of the account. The new password should be cryptic and not one used before.

Note that changing the account password will change the password used for logging on to the relevant user portal. If your email service is NOT a retained legacy service (one associated with a retired internet service account), then the password required by the router to connect to the internet will be changed too. If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically. If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password yourself and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

beckybarnard
Hooked

Thanks Townman for your reply and your helpful suggestions.

Which phone help option do I choose?

The options are Broadband or Mobile, if I choose Broadband the automated system says my number isn't recognised and cuts me off, if I choose Mobile they say they are unable to deal with broadband queries!

I cannot access the maaf user portal or I am unable to change the password that way.

I appreciate any help so thank you.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Becky,

You should treat this as a broadband issue.  Odd that there is no telephone issue option.  Are you calling this number - 0330 1239 123

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

beckybarnard
Hooked

Hi,

Yes, that's the number I call, you have to but in your phone number linked to your account and of course I don't have one as I'm with Vodafone not Plusnet!

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This is VERY interesting...

1. Are you a current Plusnet customer?
  2. Are you on Plusnet ADLS / FTTC?
  3. Are you on Plusnet SoGEA?
  4. Are you on Plusnet FTTP?

Your response shines a great deal of light into automation issues which have a predetermined view of what the world looks like - all callers seeking support are current users and they all have telephone numbers linked to their account.

There are a significant number of legacy email service users who no longer have an active Plusnet broadband account ... and thus apparently can now not access support.

I have already escalated this as a service access issue, to a place which I hope will respond back here to fix your email password issue.  If you can clarify the state of your relationship with Plusnet, that will help inform why you cannot access the support desk.

beckybarnard
Hooked

Hi

I tried something else and entered an old number and it let me through! No idea why my current one didn't.

The person on the phone is being super helpful, we've got in and she's helping change the password.

Thank you for all your help

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Becky,

Great news that you cracked the door open, however that is not a great way to gain access.

Can you please clarify your relationship profile (as the the previous post) with the business so that I can follow this through with the super user liaison group.

It is somewhat fortunate that you were able to recall an old number which has not been reallocated to a different customer.  It has worked for you on this occasion, but it should be much easier.

beckybarnard
Hooked

Hi Townman,

My fault I think, i hadn't updated my phone number with madasafish, probably because I couldn't sign in! I have now done so should it be linked to my account and hopefully recognised by they automated system or if not I can manually input it.

I am not a plusnet customer in any respect nor have I ever been, I just have a legacy email account (care4free).

The lady on the phone was very helpful, she reset the password for me to get in and I've now been able to change the hacked domain email address password too.

Thank you for all your help today. Technology is sometimes so frustrating and talking to an actual person is always better Smiley