cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor wireless performanace with 2 win7 laptops

grumpy65

poor wireless performanace with 2 win7 laptops

Hi, I have since joining Plusnet have never had good wifi performance and my win 7 64 bit laptops. They are only able to connect and stay connected when they are only about physically 10 feet from the tompson 585 router. The router has been changed once but the results are the same. A netgear router has been also  tried and still no improvement.
I have 2 Win XP platforms a laptop top and a desktop pc both of which connect perfectly and experiance no problems being sited about 30 feet from the router. Speed 54 mps and signal strenght shown.
I have done all the checks on the obvious to ensure the the win 7 applications should connect.
Any ideas or help that can be offered to resolve my problemplease
Grumpy65
6 REPLIES 6
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: poor wireless performanace with 2 win7 laptops

Have you got the latest drivers for the cards in the Win7 latops?
I had problems with drop-outs using the drivers from the standard MS install , but the latest ones from Intel made a big difference to stability.
grumpy65

Thanks for that but I installed the latest drivers for the network adapters and it still remains the same problem. 
Regards
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Have you tried using a different wireless channel on the router? 
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ is a useful utility.

If your XP computers are 802.11g and your win7 computers are 802.11n, try forcing your Win7 computers to use 802.11g by editing the wireless adapter''s properties, and/or forcing the router to use 802.11g only.

Posting the full model no. of your Thomson and Netgear routers may be helpful too.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
grumpy65

Hi
Thanks for your suggestions. I have run the inssider program on all my PC and laptops and it indicates that there is clear separation of the channels from any of the neighbouring networks. Most of the the networks are running either on channel 1 or 11 where as I am in auto and on channel 6.
As regards forcing the tompson TG 585 v8 modem/router, supplied and replaced by Plusnet, to run on g only and for the laptops and PC to do the same, then there is no change in the situation. My netgear modem router has become defective so I cannot try that anymore.
So at present I am still in a situation where the my laptops using win 7 do not work particularly in wireless mode  well unless close to the router.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Regardeds Grumpy65
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Either the problem is your router or it isn't.  Given that you have tried two Thomson routers and a Netgear, all to no avail, then it looks like it isn't a router problem and the fact that the problem arose around the time you joined Plusnet is just a coincidence.  The other thing that could have changed is that your neighbours got new wireless equipment.  Try a different wireless channel.  If your neighbours have routers set to "auto" then you may be able to force them off channel 1 or 11 by choosing the channel for yourself.  Perhaps some other equipment (that doesn't show up on InSSIDer) is creating interference on channel 6?   
grumpy65

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion to resolve my problem by manually changing to a different channel which I did and low and behold for the last 24hours the problem has been resolved. I changed to channel 5 and  the win 7 laptops logon to the wireless network in all areas of my house.
I just assumed that when you select auto that the oruter would switch to a channel to allow good broadcast of wifi. We learn something everyday as they say only trouble is it can take hours finding out.
Anyway  thanks to everyone for their help in resolving this problem
Regards Grumpy65