BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: low speed (again) and inscreased SNR

No problem at all Smiley
MrN
Grafter

Just logged on and the DSL and PPPoA connections have been re-set at 8pm tonight. No power issues at this end so can you please explain why this has happened when the DSL had been up for 6 days and the PPPoA had been running for 11 days which is clearly stable and the re-set has not increased the sync rate or reduced the SNR. Will this now indicate an unstable line, yet again and keep the speed at the same miserable 6.5meg as it is now. I am really thinkg it would be better to move to a free upto 8meg serivce with no hassle than pay for this rubbish which is only delivering the same performance. One very confused and angry PN customer. Angry
Uptime: 0 days, 0:54:50

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 9,315

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13.0 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 36.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 11.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 34 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 123 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 2,303

CRC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 6

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You have a problem with that Noise margin of 11dB
The high number of FEC (Forward Error Correction) is indicative that of errors corrected in flight by interleaving.
You seem to be lucky with the level of CRC errors but you are getting a few HEC errors which are indicative of uncorrectable errors being detected.
If you reduce your Noise Margin, you will get more errors and your line will reset more often.
You will have to check all the local wiring etc etc...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@OP Hope you don't mind too much to me butting in. Smiley
@ A Fox is Evil
How  does one interpret the error statistics; by number:time ratio, or something else? What are acceptable rates.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
VileReynard
Hero

Obviously you can expect to receive more errors over a long period than a short period.
Hard to say what counts as good/bad on a per day basis.
Most important error indication are CRC errors - I think a few hundred a day would probably count as quite high.
It depends how the errors are clustered over the time - if you get them all at once, you will probably get your line resynced [bad]!
FEC errors don't have much effect - so large numbers are OK - possibly thousands per day.
But HEC errors mean retransmissions, so anything more than small numbers are quite bad.
Have a look in Wikipedia for a technical explanation of what the abbreviations mean.
My current router doesn't give a proper breakdown by error type - but I got just 36 CRC errors over the last 12 hours.

puddy
Grafter

Quote from: A
Most important error indication are CRC errors - I think a few hundred a day would probably count as quite high.
It depends how the errors are clustered over the time - if you get them all at once, you will probably get your line resynced [bad]!

Even on my line that sync at 8128 had l large volume CRC plus other hec etc  I found fitting BT-i plate reduced them by over 95%
Puddy
VileReynard
Hero

I have an i-plate too - it reduced interference pickup from extension phones massively.

MrN
Grafter

There is no internal wiring, exteranl wiring direct to face plate and nothing else, no extensions no sky and so on. A month ago line synced at 11+ with download and throughput etc @ 10meg no problem. PN have added interleaving today to help it improve having acknowledged faults on the line. Not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing. SNR was 6db and less until recently and now is 11db..????Huh
This a router stats graph of my line.
Luzern
Hero

In16.5 hrs down CRC 205; HEC 180. That look OK?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
VileReynard
Hero

I'd say that is bordering on the highish side.
Unless that daily rate starts to come down, don't expect BT to reduce your noise margin. Smiley

Luzern
Hero

Ah well!
BTW I seem to synching @ 6653 after needing to turn off overnight. Banded as well??? Smiley
MrN
Grafter

@PN. Not sure why thread has been jumped on but anyway. Interleaving has been added to my line and now the pings are increasing on the gaming side, is this true when you have interleaving on and by removing it will it stop the connection from improving? Any advice very welcome.
VileReynard
Hero

Interleaving is a method of error correction and hence allows higher speeds.
Downside is that it increases latency.
For gaming, speed isn't particularly vital - but a reasonable latency is.

MrN
Grafter

new router supplied as per ticket and up now for 2 days no change in sync speed and FEC errors still really high. Fault was meant to actioned on Sunday morning but no news yet. Can someone please tell me what is happening and can the interleaving PLEASE taken off ASAP as this has made no difference at all. What is the next step. Update please. Cry
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can see that you spoke to Rami earlier today and will be running further speed tests. Please let us know if you need any further help with this one.