cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low speed (again) and inscreased SNR

MrN
Grafter

low speed (again) and inscreased SNR

Just returned from a 2 week holiday and connection was running at 9meg down with IP profile of 11000. Router has disconnected during this time for some reason and now the SNR on the line has risen from 6db average to 11db average and the IP profile has dropped to 8000 giving only 6.5meg download speed. Any sugeestions please on why and how to return the connection to the figures previously seen would be very helpful.
Uptime: 6 days, 7:45:47

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 9,248

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 13.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 36.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.5 / 10.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 23 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 6 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 118 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 674,406

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,485

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,142
42 REPLIES 42
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: low speed (again) and inscreased SNR

Consider yourself lucky to be on ADSL2+.  My line has the same attenuation but always syncs in the 7000s so the IP profile is 6500, like the 'poor' result you have at present.  To return to your previous speeds you need 10 days (I think) of stability before the BT DLM system will drop your target SNR.  Your up time is over six days now so you might as well hang on and then contact Plusnet if nothing happens after 10 days.  DLM drops the target SNR in 3dB increments so you only need one drop to be back at 6dB.     
MrN
Grafter

Router has now been up for over 10 days with the DSL connection up for over four days and no improvement in the speed has been seen. The speed has just got slower and slower since signing up in May this year. Line inital synced at 11000 and the speeds were nearly 10meg consistently and it has just dropped down ever since. Can anyone from Plusnet advise what to do next as this issue has been posted on several tickets and NEVER resolved, can you  do something from your end to return the connection to the syncs and download speeds previously seen. Angry
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

MrN
Grafter

Having completed these tests/checks many times the most recent was four weeks ago when the speed was very erratic and going as low as 2meg what will actually be the outcome this time round? The last ticket was open for nearly a week and subject too many tests but was closed unfortunately due to my holiday getting in the way. Nothing has changed in the hardware set-up etc from the previous tests, runinng in the master socket all the time (link to previous postsing and tickets http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,86794.0/topicseen.html). Ben please read this thread and see the tickets of possible.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's always the same.
I'd like PN to get BT to reduce my noise margin back to 6dB - but they have a script to generate a "why we know you wouldn't want that".

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately we can't re-open closed tickets, we just need you to open a new one. Please feel free to reference the previous ticket(s) and we'll re-raise the issue to BT then take it from there.
MrN
Grafter

Fault raised under ticket ID: 34459924. Unable to complete the action due to a technical fault (brilliant). Any ideas when the technical fault, not mine, but yours will be cleared so I can complete the ticket.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There are no reported issues with the fault checker at the moment so give it another go.
MrN
Grafter

Test now done under ticket number: ID: 34462267. Had to close the ticket listed in last post as it would not allow me continue when I had added additional information. Lets hope this one gets my connection back to the speed it should be at as the 6.5meg download speed I am seeing now is no faster than previous supplier on ADSL, so I am very frustated at not seeing any improved speed on ADSL2+ service provided by PN.  Cry
MrN
Grafter

Ticket returned with no faults showing added additional information as requested yet again. Please see two BT speed tests showing the change in sync speed recently but they both indicate the same download speed.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
6476 Kbps

0 Kbps 21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 6476 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :11815 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 10000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 13.51:21.4:65.09 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
14/06/10 at 13:34

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
6542 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 6542 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9248 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 8000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 13.57:24.78:61.64 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.
@1324 on 28/07/2010
Can someone from PN please explain this and tell me if the download speed will ever  return to 10meg previously seen or is the 6.5meg download speed the best I can expext on this service Angry
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The Faults Team have this in hand and will update you in due course. I've had a quick look at everything and all seems OK. Your sync is lower than you want but still OK in generals terms for your line. You're on an 8Mbps profile on an 8Mbps estimate.
MrN
Grafter

From that can i take it then the speed i am currently recieving is the best I should expect? But it doesnt explain why the speed and sync speed were considerably higher during the first month of connection and have just got slower with the sync speed reducing all the time. Based on this is better to reduce costs and run on an upto 8meg services for next nothing rather than an upto 20meg services with no apparent increase in performance?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We would expect broadband speeds to vary over time but there's nothing to say that we can't get you back up to 10Mbps. I've had a quick once-over and can't see anything seriously out of place which is why I directed you to the Faults Team as they will test your line in much greater depth and get back to you with advice as to how we can proceed from here.
MrN
Grafter

Thanks for the reply and the assistance so far Ben Smiley