cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

line fault

Trevor
Grafter

Re: line fault

Just a thought (and sorry if you have been through this already): Do you have a cordless phone and, if so, is the base station anywhere near the router?
Trevor
Knotty
Grafter

I do have a cordless phone - neither units are plugged in, powered up or even connected to the line Smiley Are you thinking wireless disconnects? I am connected to the router via an Ethernet cable if so.
Basically I have just the router, connected to a filter, connected to the test socket
Is it possible that the SNR reset caused these latest disconnects? (and does it start the whole 10 day training thing again?)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Sometimes cordless phones cause interference - particularly if the base unit is near the router - nothing to do with using a wireless connection.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Trevor
Grafter

As Jelv said, I was thinking of interference to the ADSL connection, nothing to do with wireless. However, if the base unit isn't powered up, then that would seem to rule it out.
And yes, as I understand it, the 'SNR reset' is achieved by re-starting the 10 day training routine.
Knotty
Grafter

Hi Guys,
Hopefully all good now - the router I bought to replace my Thompson and to check it wasn't the Thompson router causing the issue was a faulty! After the BT engineer left my connection was still dropping out every 15 mins or so, put the thompson back in and its all been working well since.
Only issue now is getting my connection back to its old speed, the 2Mb cap is still showing and the SNR hasn't dropped all day.
Knotty
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'll submit an SNR reset which should hopefully sort that out.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Knotty
Grafter

Was working pretty well last night, come home from work and I have nothing, not even the telephone works! All plugged into he
master socket, phone with or without filter makes no difference.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just checked your account and can see that this has been resolved now. I'm adding a good will gesture too as our way of saying thanks for your patience.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Knotty
Grafter

Adam, again, many thanks for all your help with this, along with the other forum users.
Will leave it to settle for a couple of weeks now, hopefully the speed should sort itself out.
For anyone who is interested, it seems my connection wasn't terminated properly in the cabinet at the end of the road - I suspect my initial thoughts were correct, upon connecting another house to the cabinet, my connection has been disturbed. I also got some info from the two BT engineers on different days that A - they use old poor quality cable in my cabinet, and B - there is a large connection point under my road which periodically fills up with water!!
Therefore, I have learnt some valuable lessons: BT suck, and PlusNet forum customer support is much better than ringing up and talking to someone.
Trevor
Grafter

Quote from: Knotty
upon connecting another house to the cabinet, my connection has been disturbed.

Oddly enough that is exactly what caused us to lose our connection earlier in the year, and with us too, the line test was said to indicate a fault on the premises. I can quite understand why a test run at the exchange can't distinguish between a wiring fault in the cabinet or 100 metres further down the line at the house but, as I said in my earlier post, I do think the test reports should at least acknowledge the ambiguity.
Anyway, glad you are now sorted Knotty.
Trevor
Knotty
Grafter

Morning all,
I was kind of expecting the SNR reset to have had some effect by now but I am still syncing very low for my connection with a 2Mb cap. Along with that my SNR is unchanged:

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 15.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 224 / 2,784
Anyone can give this a push back to syncing at 5000ish?
Knotty
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Didn't the previous SNR reset take place before the disconnection fault occurred? Now that has been rectified a further reset may be needed.
It's unlikely anyone from the Digital Care Team will be here until Monday to check this out. I assume the previous fault is now closed off. I'd be inclined to raise a new low speed fault at http://faults.plus.net to get a report in the system, and add a postscript note explaining the history and cross referring to the previous fault.
David
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Knotty,
Just ran a line test and it's showing a possible fault. Can you tell me if you are using any extension cables/sockets. If so, can you plug into the test socket.
Jojo Smiley
Knotty
Grafter

Morning Jojo,
That couldn't be any worse news! I thought we were all fixed after two BT engineers Sad
I am currently at work, but I know the router is plugged directly into the test socket, a (third) new filter, new phone cable to to router. I bought a new router when the issue first started and the 28/09 , but took it back last week since the problem was the same with both new and old routers.
I haven't had any noticeable disconnects, just the speed isn't increasing as expected after the fault was fixed in the exchange.
What sort of fault are you showing?
If you think its the router, I might as well signup for another 12 months and get the newer v8 thompson for free? Could I borrow a loan router to make sure it is the router this time?
Thanks,
Knotty
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Knotty,
It says possible internal wiring/router, although that doesn't rule out an external issue. I'll get one in the post for you to try out.
Jojo Smiley