Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

line fault

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: line fault

Try ringing your phone number from your mobile to see if an incoming call affects the noise margin.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Knotty
Grafter

Noise margin dropped to 6 while ringing the landline.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you got a screen shot from RouterStats showing that? It would be excellent evidence for the faults people.
Knotty
Grafter

I will post one later.
I am now more concerned as link:csa removed - CSC Analyst has just sent me an e-mail saying my equipment could be at fault, when clearly I have gone through all the normal tests, including a new router!
My fault has looped right back round to the start of the fault - I feel no closer to getting a resolution.
adie:orange CSA name removed as per link:rules ]
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just looked at this again and decided to run another test against the line and got the following result which I'm guessing what my colleague saw:
Test Result: Fail - Fault located at customer apparatus (appointment required)
Description: FAULT - Loop (Rectified)

At this juncture I'd recommend that we take a detailed look at your set up, we want to avoid booking an engineer visit that could lead to charges for yourself. Can you describe to us in as much detail as possible how your equipment is set up (in terms of from the master socket out to filters, phones and the router...
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Knotty
Grafter

Apologies for the oversight on the forum rules.
I will take a look at the house wiring and report back later today. I have a feeling the second wall outlet is run from the line outside - meaning it is split outside (note this is how I assume BT did it when first installed - not my wiring)
If that is the case, I will just rip it all out as that could be the problem.
Apart from that, I have two filters on two sockets, both new, one has the phone( which is currently unplugged), and the other has the new router.
I am atleast thankful that a test has come back with a fault that I can look in to.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Does one of the sockets have a removable lower half with a test socket inside? If so there should be wires connected to the back of the removable part which go to the other socket which will have no dial tone when the removable part is off.
Trevor
Grafter

Knotty,
From my experience (two line faults this year), it seems quite common for BT's automated tests to report 'fault at customer premises' when the fault is on the line itself. Last time it was in the underground section of the line.
Whilst I can understand why Plusnet want to do everything possible to protect you from the risk of being charged for the callout, I do think it is unreasonable that the test reports don't at least acknowledge the uncertainty in the test findings.
Good luck.
Trevor
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Whilst I can understand why Plusnet want to do everything possible to protect you from the risk of being charged for the callout

Absolutely and purely from experience I do have faith in the testing system being used here, please bear in mind that these are phone fault specific tests as opposed to broadband ones which can be less specific in their output.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Adam, Would a step forward here be for Knotty to arrange a time with you for him to unplug absolutely everything from both sockets and then for you to run the test again? If that throws up an error it must be a fault in the BT wiring.
Knotty
Grafter

The unplugging of everything and running the test is a good idea - you have my mobile number Adam from my account, if it is possible I can make myself available.
In the mean time I have got hold of two new sockets, I am going to re-wire the lot just to protect myself. Once this is done, if the problem persists I will expect a BT engineer very promptly due to the downtime I have already experienced.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I would NOT touch the wiring. Up to the first socket is BT's property and responsibility.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's not essential that we do things that way but it will make sure that we've properly eliminated everything in your property.
Could we perhaps agree to a call some time tomorrow morning?
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Knotty
Grafter

Adam, I am available now for about 45 mins at least - tomorrow morning works if it is early, I have to leave for work at 8am.
I just put the router back in the test socket so that all extensions are disconnected. Started up router stats and rung the house phone - Left it a few minutes, attached a different filter and did the same test again.
Attached it the image of the drop in NR. Does this enlighten anything?
edit: added the graph of connection speed at the same time. note that I am capped at 135kb still.
Knotty
Grafter

everything will be disconnected in around 5 minutes, if someone can run the line test while I am out, this will show whether it is my equipment or the line.
Thanks,
Knotty