cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gb useage

twitchy14
Grafter

gb useage

Can you let me know what the average gb useage is for the normal residential internet user.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: gb useage

There are four of us that use the internet for many hours every day, and we pretty much hit our 15GB allowance each and every month.
Any large downloads, like Linux .iso files, Windows updates, and ALL our BBC iPlayer programs are all downloaded over night - when those large files don't count against our subscription.
OK we don't use Xbox live, or us p2p, which can use up GB quickly, but we don't feel hard done by with 15GB per month.
JTitor

Try being a gamer....one month my bill was £80....  Tongue 150 gb give or take but I average at 65gb a month with 4 people.
scootie
Grafter

what sort of thing do you use the net for is a good starting point?
i have grown into a heavy user over the years, and now am using onlive an thats beating all my records
2007 1gb plusnet
2008 10, 40gb plusnet
2009-2010 avg on plusnet unlimited package 100-150gb
present day, have pushed a TB on a cable 30mb line
edit. just checked the usage on my old PN account and the 2 peeps left using the connection for web pages ie ebay etc are using just a few gb, i could use that by just falling asleep on the keyboard
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Four adults in our house, no gamers

Billing Period Allowance Used Overnight Usage Total usage
27 Aug - 27 Sep     20.96GB           1.12GB 22.07GB
27 Jul - 27 Aug 1    6.77GB           1.14GB 17.91GB
27 Jun - 27 Jul     16.54GB           1.23GB 17.76GB
our download speed is around 4Mbps.
When we started with PN we were on  the 10GB value deal but soon transferred to extra, this month it looks like hitting 30GB.
I think this forum helped me increase the speed so that is encouraging us to us t'internet more and more, we use Skype for international calls, stream football, e-mail and browsing  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Heloman
Grafter

I don't think there is such a thing as "a normal residential internet user".
I'm probably abnormal!
I'm retired, wife doesn't use the computer, I don't do gaming, P2P etc.  My usage rarely exceeds 5Gb.
Occasionally there's a weekend when children/grandchildren visit with all their gadgets and the usage suddenly exceeds my 10 GB allowance  Sad
PiLoT
Grafter

Im proud
JamesM
Grafter

I use anywhere between 15 and 30 Gb per month and 90% is peak time. Saying that though I used to like gaming but since someone likes to keep turning my interleaving back on (even though I have requested it to be turned off permanently) I don't do much gaming anymore.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Respect PiLoT, respect!
There is no such thing as average. Faster/bigger packages do, at least subtley, tempt you to use more. Also usage changes as new technologies appear and as your children (if any) grow up. There is lots of streaming TV watching going in in our house now that wasn't happening a year ago.