cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection oddities

themekon

connection oddities

We have been having some odd behaviour with our internet connection for the last 6 months,  when the line drops the router will not reconnect unless we first dial 1471, or dial 150 and get a line test performed.  Can anyone provide some advice as to what is going on? 
apologies if this is the wrong forum
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: connection oddities

My first thought is that you have a high resistance joint somewhere and dialling out clears it temporarily but I have never heard of this happening before.
Have you tried the quiet line test - dial 17070 option 2
itsme
Grafter

In the past I have had similar experiences. I use to do the quiet line test and could hear noise on the line which decreased when listening then the router establish a connection and it was fine for a few days.
Does the phone get used a lot? I believe that the problem is down to a poor sealing of a joint and moisture ingress. Using the phone 'dry' out the joint.
themekon

Thanks i will try the quiet line test tonight.
the phone does not get used that often, infact we went for quite a while last year not being able to recieve incomming calls.  the first we knew about that was when i tried to phone home but couldnt.  a line test cleared that too.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: itsme
Does the phone get used a lot? I believe that the problem is down to a poor sealing of a joint and moisture ingress. Using the phone 'dry' out the joint.

An increased "drying effect" can result by applying ringing current on the line. Use a mobile if handy, or 17070 option 1 for an automatic ring-back.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
themekon

Hi, sorry about the delay, i did the quiet line test and that was ok, no pops or crackling on the line.
dan
themekon

Thanks for all the help, i have managed to track down the fault and get it fixed.  Would you believe it was the master socket.  I had one of the old pre test socket (NT5e? ) type.  This has been replaced with a NT5e type bt socket and the extension moved to a ADSLnation  XTE-2005 Master Faceplate. 
Result = synching at a far more respectable 1500 with an average download speed of 1376, no more dropped connections and no more crackly phone line :)..
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

We were wondering.  Wink
Thanks for posting the resolution.  Smiley
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)