Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Failing to sync

adios
Dabbler

Help! Failing to sync

My line was upgraded to ADSL 2+ today.
Unfortunately the router is no longer syncing and and there is a large buzz on the telephone line.
I am using a Netgear 834G v3 router with the latest firmware installed which is meant to be compliant.
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo) changed all caps title as per Forum Rules]
[color=green][PUG Moderator's note by David (spraxyt) title extended to better describe the problem]
11 REPLIES 11
adios
Dabbler

Re: Help!

Just a thought.  Are there special ADSL splitters for ADSL2+ which are meant to be used?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Same filters should be fine, if you have a corded phone plug it into the test socked and do the quiet line test 17070 and select option 2 - if there is still buzzing you need to raise a voice fault with your supplier. Don't mention broadband if you do.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adios
Dabbler

Would you plug the corded phone into the test socket via a splitter, or directly into the socket?
scootie
Grafter

not to sure but as your broadbands not working at all i would try with out filter as its not going to be causing a low sync event even if it is the wrong way to do it.
wheres adeiwoo's reply has his solid 24 carat gold phone line broke  Crazy
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Plug it in directly.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adios
Dabbler

This is getting particularly tricky.
I accepted the offer of participating in the trial months ago as I was at home.  However months have passed since the order was placed and I am now working in the states and trying to relay all this information to my father who has limited technical knowlege.
He says he ran the line test and after holding for around 2 minutes listning to a message saying "Performing line noise test" he hung up.  He says he didn't get any result.  Should he have stayed on the line longer to get the result?  Presumably there is not a noise problem on the line because when he unplugs the router, the buzz dissapears from the line.  The noise is definately coming from the router trying to sync.  That's why I was wondering if it might be a splitter problem.
He is going to run the line test again and hold on longer this time.  Is there any other advice I should give.  What is the next step to try and resolve this if the line test is good?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

In the words of the song - "Silence is golden"
That's all you are looking for from the quiet line test. If the buzzing disappears when the router is unplugged that indicates there is no obvious problem with the line.
Are there extension phone sockets? If so have you got filters in every extension that has anything plugged in? (including things like Sky boxes).
If he unplugs everything except the filter and router does the router sync then?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adios
Dabbler

There is only 1 extension which was recently installed and tested by BT in addition to the master socket.
There is a telephone attahced via the ADSL filters to both the master socket and the extension.  The router is attached via the ADSL filter and the extension.  He has tested the router by plugging straight into the master socket also.
Line test is completely silent when using the BT test socket and also the regular socket when the "Router is unplugged".  The buzz on the line is only apparent when the router is attached and trying to negotiate a connection.  Router status says something along the lines of "Trying to negotiate an LCP connection". 
Have tested router with both phones disconnected from the line but still unable to establish a connection?
I think I have covered all bases except for trying new filters.
What's next?  I'm wondering if we should revert back to DSL max as we are not in a prime position now to be testing this.  I opted to participate months ago when I was at home because I have a good technical knowlege but as I am not at home now, I feel helpess to do anything.  I was not aware that it was going to take several months to set up.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When doing the quiet line test, after dialling 17070 you get your phone number read back, then the options listed. After pressing 2 it says "quiet line test" then immediately it should be quiet.
I don't know whether noise from the router should be audible during syncing, though I'd have guessed not.
I think trying a different filter is the first step, any chance of trying a different router too?
Having eliminated those some mistake in moving your connection to 21CN then seems the only thing left.
David
adios
Dabbler

I have ordered new filters but they wont arrive until the end of the week.
Trying another router is not really an option because my dad won't know what to do with it.
If any PN staff are monitoring this, please check ticket #27773955
adios
Dabbler

Re: Help! Failing to sync

I guess I need to raise a regular broadband fault report?
I've not had any feedback from PN at all.