cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Issue: Sky HD box stops working when connected to router via ethernet or WiFi

Philbert
Grafter

Weird Issue: Sky HD box stops working when connected to router via ethernet or WiFi

Weird one this.

My Sky HD box works fine unless it's connected to our full-fibre broadband router.

This is a recent thing: the Sky box worked fine after the router was installed some months ago, and before then, it worked for years via our old Plusnet modem.

Just over a week ago, the Sky box became erratic: very slow to respond to remote controller, and eventually wouldn't reboot. We bought a replacement Sky box, same problem.

Discovered that this only happened when the Sky box is connected to the router, either by ethernet or wifi. Disconnected, it boots up normally and responds to the remote ok.

I have factory reset the router (and reset the Sky box). No change.

Two desktop PCs, ethernet connected to the router, appear to be functioning as they should.

I'm wondering if there's been any change or update recently to the router or its connection to Plusnet.

Any bright ideas welcomed!

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Re: Weird Issue: Sky HD box stops working when connected to router via ethernet or WiFi

This is a recent thing: the Sky box worked fine after the router was installed some months ago, and before then, it worked for years via our old Plusnet modem.

@Philbert sounds like a possible IP clash.

Is the Sky box set to obtain IP address automatically (DHCP) ?

Have you recently added a new device to the network ? and is that set with a fixed address perhaps ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Weird Issue: Sky HD box stops working when connected to router via ethernet or WiFi

Another possibility is that it is connecting to the router using IPv6 - it is probably worth checking IPv6 is disabled on the router.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@Philbert 

Following on from @corringham suggestion, take a look at this post which mentions issues with an Roku Express, which might help with to regards of IPv6 being a possible cause

https://community.plus.net/t5/Gaming/X-Box-one-not-connecting-wireless-plusnet-Hub-Two/m-p/1969160#M... 

HTH

Philbert
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

My router doesn't have an IPv6 option.

I have found no evidence of an IP address clash.

What did work was (eventually) finding and reassembling (mostly the case) a Sky box I had stored away after removing its hard drive a good few years ago. That box works perfectly - including when connected via ethernet.

So I'm out of the woods, but no wiser!

Philbert
Grafter

Wrote too soon.

After working fine for an evening, the same glitch has struck this 3rd Sky box.

Too much to be coincidence: surely this has got to be some issue with Plusnet's router or service.

Has there been any recent update or tech modification to the rounter or Plusnet's service?

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@Philbert 

An interesting problem. Given the number of Sky HD boxes in use it can't be a common problem or the Plusnet forums would be full of such questions.

I've not go a Sky HD box but my guess is that it needs to "phone home" and fails to make contact with Sky then locks up.

If you have another router (particularly one with an Ethernet WAN connection) I would experiment using that.

The first experiment (using an Ethernet WAN router) would be to put that near the Sky box on the end of your cable to the Plusnet router and make that work (you may need to adjust the LAN IP address range to make this work as both Plusnet and this other router may be 192.168.1.xxx by default). Once that is working try the Sky box (wired) via this other router.

Otherwise try replacing the Plusnet router with the replacement (adding your Plusnet seetings as needed) and see if the Sky box dislikes this new router.

One other (slightly random) thought, if you do a search for "what's my IP address" where does it suggest you are? Anywhere in the UK would be OK. I suspect if (for some reason) it locates you outside the UK that might be what the Sky system dislikes.

I am the satisfied customer....
Philbert
Grafter

Thank you, Mark. I appreciate your reply.

I'll get into it and let you know!

Cheers