Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DrayTek 2766Vac Question

DriveA2B
Hooked

DrayTek 2766Vac Question

Hello to all.
First the Background.
I am new to this forum, but a long time user of Plusnet. I recently converted from a 12Mb ADSL contract to 50Mb VDSL2 via  a SOGEA connection.

I gave up my PO landline and had thought I could set up a VoIP service using a Grandstream ATA and a SIP service. After problems with the ATA, I purchased a new DrayTek Vigor 2766Vac router as a better (??) option if a ‘house phone line’ was needed.
(BT Digital Voice is an option later when Plusnet contract is due for renewal).

The SOGEA contract came with a a Plusnet Hub2 and appeared to work OK but when I checked the Syslog files there were numerous DoS attacks and I decided to use the Draytek as I thought it would be more able to deal with DoS and other threats.

My Questions

The Draytek is a big learning curve. I setup the connection and some Firewall rules for browsing. It worked, appears slightly slower than the homehub.
The DSL light shows orange fixed/steady orange colour when training, and changes to green but flashes(blinks) slowly and then quicker and the slowly; but never locks in to a fixed state. The connection dashboard shows 17A Showtime and the internet connection works. But ? except when data is being transmitted, should the DSL Led be solid fixed green ?
When checking the router Syslog, the router seems to be cycling through to Showtime constantly. (Every 29 secs).
I have connected the router direct into the master socket and the result is the same.
When using the Homehub the blue light is solid

I am not sure if this situation is normal or if there is a problem. Any advice most welcome.

Thanks Bri. (Novice regarding this issue)Syslog ClipSyslog ClipEarly April ConnectionEarly April ConnectionEarly April DSL Fecs ?Early April DSL Fecs ?Recent ConnectionRecent ConnectionRecent DSLRecent DSLRecent DSLRecent DSL

10 REPLIES 10
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: DrayTek 2766Vac Question

@DriveA2B 

Regarding VOIP.

If your old landline number matters to you then you only have 30 days to port it after the phone service ceased.

BT Digital Voice is not an option - it's only for BT customers. You need an independant VOIP provider. There are many out there but A&A seem to get good reviews on this Forum.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

@DriveA2B 

The DSL light shows orange fixed/steady orange colour when training, and changes to green but flashes(blinks) slowly and then quicker and the slowly; but never locks in to a fixed state. The connection dashboard shows 17A Showtime and the internet connection works. But ? except when data is being transmitted, should the DSL Led be solid fixed green ?

Looking at the manual , the DSL led is actually a combined DSL/Internet status. Your description of what its showing is expected. Green flashing means it has an Internet (PPPoE) connection and traffic is being transmitted/received. If the PPPoE connection drops it will go to solid Orange and if the DSL drops it will go to flashing Orange until it re-synchs.

As to the repeated entries in the log, It looks like some form of debug level is set. I'd check first that you have the latest firmware. Draytek also have different versions of the modem code for various DSL types. Check in the release notes the appropriate one for Openreach VDSL.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DriveA2B
Hooked

A  quick reply to say many thanks for the comments re A&A sip service; I did try with A&A but it didnt work out.

Firmware settings i'll checkup and get back.

Rgds Bri.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@DriveA2B 

If I may ask - what went wrong with A&A? They tend to know what they're doing with PN customers.

Brian

DriveA2B
Hooked

A&A experience - Difficult to detail; in summary V good at the start. My landline picked up and transferred to A &A. Provisioned ATA supplied. But, difficult to get working. NAT ?s ; Stun servers. Unreliable for incoming calls. Security of the ATA.

Gap in my capability/understanding not adequate for the solution of problems. After 3month period and many hours decided to give it a rest.

On the matter of the Firmware it appears to be up to date.

Re the repeating Showtime in the Syslog; is this normal ?  if not what could reasons be ?

Thanks Bri.

Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 12.22.51.pngScreen Shot 2024-04-25 at 12.20.55.png

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

Re the repeating Showtime in the Syslog; is this normal ?  if not what could reasons be ?

I wouldnt expect those repeated logs. The ADSL status does not appear to be changing (its always SHOWTIME) so my conclusion is that its possibly some debug left in that version of firmware. I would suggest you ask Draytek why they are being produced

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DriveA2B
Hooked

Ok thanks.

Bri.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

A bit late to this, but I have a Vac Draytek (not currently in use) which I experimented with and had working with Sipgate.

Either the Draytek or the A&A supplied analogue telephone adaptor should work.

I wonder if the unreliability was some configuration in the Draytek VoIP setup "fighting" with the A&A ATA.

With a Gigaset DECT base station I've found VoIP reliable.

Also you should need very minimal configuration with the Draytek for it to work with Plusnet at a basic level and to get VoIP working a good start would be to make the Draytek work with a VoIP service.

https://support.aa.net.uk/VoIP_Phones_-_Draytek

Although not for A&A, this is a good setup guide I used to make my Draytek Vac router work.

https://teamhelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/204129732-DrayTek

Note the last section "Using Multiple Phones Behind the Same Router".

I am the satisfied customer....
DriveA2B
Hooked

markhawkin

Thanks for your input. I've put the VoIP task on the back burner.

I'm more concerned with the reason the router is repeating the Showtime procedure every 29 seconds.

I will contact DrayTek with the question.

Thanks Bri.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@DriveA2B (Bri),

As far as the connection on the Draytek is concerned, the Dashboard has an "Up Time". On the assumption that this gives many days that's how long the VDSL session has been up. If the repeated "showtime" in the logs were an issue you would be having connection drops.

I don't have any old logs from a Draytek on VDSL to check unfortunately but I've found Draytek UK support excellent with questions in the past.

I am the satisfied customer....