Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Priority - Sky Player

mattewan
Grafter

Traffic Priority - Sky Player

Hello,
Over the last couple of months i have started to use Sky Player to watch on demand movies (due to the fact with the sky packages i have, i dont have to pay to watch the films on demand).
Most of the time, in the week, i tend to watch films pretty late, eg, around 12am ish.
However, on the weekend, sometimes i have a few people over and we want to watch films at around 7pm and everytime, we get constant re-buffering.
As a test i just set a film playing now, and opened up task manger on the networking tab, and the move is rebuffering.
As soon as it hit 12am, the network graph shot up, as the traffic shaping rules are relaxed.
Is sky player always going to be given such a low priority?
Here is a url to a screenshot as it hit 12, and you can clearly see the bandwidth increase.
http://www.osst.co.uk/pics/plusnet.png
Thanx
5 REPLIES 5
coastergrotto
Grafter

Re: Traffic Priority - Sky Player

Why don't you download the films between midnight and 8am and then play them back as required.  This way you will be on your off peak period and it will not count towards your bandwith allowance.  The films will remain in your library for 29 days.
mattewan
Grafter

That would work, however, If i have people over who also want to watch a film, we can't really decide on a film to watch, then say, ok, we will watch it tomorrow.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Best thing you could do would be to do a link:wireshark capture and post it on a ticket to make sure that it is getting correctly prioritised.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I've just run a capture of one of the live streams (Sky News) and all of the traffic was in the high priority 'Gold' traffic queue. I'm going to take a look at the capture you've attached to your support ticket now...
Edit: your capture shows the feed being streamed from Akamai servers, whereas mine doesn't. There doesn't seem to be any ToS markings on the traffic but I suspect that's because your router is stripping them out. We can probably fix this by applying our SkyPlayer signatures to Akamai traffic...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Bob
We can probably fix this by applying our SkyPlayer signatures to Akamai traffic...

We're going to try this tomorrow so let me know if it improves things.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵